The BritList: Firefighters, Puppies and The Oregon Trail
We are well into 2015 at this point, and we’re feeling pretty darn good about the year ahead. In less than two months, our very first book Homemakers starts shipping (pre-order that ‘ish now people!), we’ve got a brand new Brit + Co baby in our midst (congrats to Mike and Laura Schierberl on baby Jack) and we’ve already made nine totally new DIY projects as part of #31DaysofDIY More on that later — now, it’s BritList time.
2. Jaws-Inspired Bassinet: What happens when a props builder who loves Jaws welcomes a baby into the world? A Jaws bassinet, of course.
3. Wood Blok Lights (from $100): Solid wood lights are paired with retro radio filament bulbs to create a lighting scene that is one part hipster, one part vintage and one part modern. And we are big fans of all those three parts :)
4. Onward & Upward Water Thermos ($29): It’s a New Year, and that means new goals, new projects and a renewed sense of creativity. Onward and upward into 2015!
5. Where Are They Now, “Doug” Edition: Illustrator Loryn Brantz took it upon herself to finally unveil the stories of our favorite funnies. See the full set of reveals over on BuzzFeed, including details about each character such as the following:
What Skeeter’s up to now: Skeeter fell into some hard times with drugs and alcohol during the final season of Doug. But, after getting clean in the early 2000s, he made a comeback beatboxing on several tracks in Kanye’s album Graduation, which people were happy to see. You can catch him now as a judge on The Voice.
And yes, Patti Mayonnaise is currently starring on Orange is the New Black. We knew we knew that chick from somewhere!
6. Paint Chip Napkins ($18.20 for 2): What is it about paint chips that makes us love them so much? Is it that they’re free? They’re filled with color? Whatever it is, we are pumped that artist Avril Loreti took it upon herself to create a whole set of paint chip napkins, complete with imaginary color names like She’s Crafty, Gone Fishing and My Goodness!
7. 2015 Charleston Firefighter Calendar ($20): A hunky calendar that gives back? Yes please. The proceeds from this calendar benefit “Toby’s Fund,” Charleston Animal Society’s medical fund that cares for thousands of abused, neglected and abandoned animals every year.
8. Lumbermatch.com: While we’re on the topic of hunky eye candy, it’s time that the lumbersexuals of the world got their very own dating website. As Lumbermatch.com describes on their homepage: “Men all over the world are growing their beards, getting tattoos and styling their hair. There are people all over the world who love guys like us. Until now there has been no place to find each other. Luckily now there is LumberMatch.” This has to be a joke, right?
9. Play MS-DOS Oregon Trail Online: You read that right. The Wayback Machine has put the totally traumatizing game of our youth on the Internetz, and children of the ’80s and ’90s are rejoicing… and eventually dying of dysentery.
10. #31DaysofDIY: Our resolution to learn or make something new every day for the month of January is off to an inspiring start. Be sure to check in on Brit.co every day for a new project, and share your own projects using the hashtag #31DaysofDIY on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
How are your 2015 resolutions coming along? Talk to us in the comments below.