These Are the Top 10 Cities in the World for Creative Adventures
Earlier this month, Airbnb unveiled their list of the top 10 creative cities in the world. With 10 percent of Airbnb hosts considering themselves members of the global creative community, Airbnb is more than just a useful tool for finding a place to stay. Since the launch of Airbnb Experiences in 2016, there has been an influx of individual expression and exploration; 28 percent of experiences are creative-based, giving artists in over 1,000 cities an opportunity to share their craft. Whether you’re trying your hand at the potter’s wheel in LA or hand-making dumplings in Shanghai, it’s easier than ever to connect with some of the most inspiring people, places, and activities around the world. Here are the cities with an abundance of creative experiences. Who knows, there might even be some amazing new hobbies to try in your own town.
1. Chicago, IL: As the top city in the world for creative experiences, Chicago has a rich history that lends its hand to the artists thriving there. Rest your feet with an experience that teaches you how to fly a plane over the city and see the landmarks from a new perspective. If you want a less extreme way to get the lay of the land without freezing your butt off in the cold winter months, take a tour of Chicago’s underground walkway.
2. Nashville, TN: There’s no denying the charm that oozes out of Nashville, from the music to the food to the Southern hospitality that runs deep. Draw inspiration with a visit to the Country Music Hall of Fame for a one-on-one recording session with a singer and songwriter who has worked with Tim McGraw. Or get your hands dirty with a Southern biscuit- making class (mimosas provided).
3. Bologna, Italy: As the third most creative city in the world for creative experiences, the city of Bologna has more to offer than beautiful statues and architecture. Try your hand at making pasta like a native or take a tour of a Parmigiano Reggiano production facility (you’ll even get to take some home).
4. New York, NY: New York can be hard to navigate; there’s a lot going on at all hours, and there are so many options when it comes to planning your vacation agenda. Luckily, there are hundreds of experiences to choose from in the Big Apple. Get a new POV of the city with a sailing tour of New York and Brooklyn, or take a trip to Chinatown for a walking oral history of the area with delicious snacks provided.
5. Copenhagen, Denmark: While you could walk aimlessly around the streets of Copenhagen for hours admiring the architecture and canals, take a step off the beaten path instead, with a horseback ride through a private seaside estate. You can also get a hands-on lesson in making authentic Danish pastries, so you can whip them up for and impress all your friends and family when you get home.
6. London, UK: Across the pond, the UK is full of welcoming creatives ready to show you the secrets behind their craft. Enjoy a relaxing afternoon in an oasis of greenery making your very own terrariums while enjoying a glass of prosecco or tea. For something a little unconventional, take a peek into the spiritual realm learning the secrets of Tarot card reading, which will make a better souvenir than a Union Jack keychain.
7. Los Angeles, CA: The home of the Tinseltown is the creative capital of the world, so it’s no doubt that it’s also one of the top creative capitals of Airbnb. Here you can take a hike to the top of the Hollywood sign, spend the afternoon paddle boarding in Malibu, or throw some pottery in artsy Echo Park. One-third of Airbnb hosts in Los Angeles are creatives, and the experiences are endless.
8. Paris, France: The romantic City of Lights has some of the most unique creative activities. Meet your guide in the center of the 8th arrondissement for the opportunity to sculpt your own bust (a trip to the Louvre beforehand could lend some inspo), or spend a few hours with a perfumer who’s worked with luxury brands Dior and Hermès to create your own custom scent.
9. Berlin, Germany: The once-in-a-lifetime opportunities in Berlin are hidden in the experiences led by locals. Hang out at a bar stocked with over 200 different types of absinthe and learn about the history of the once-banned drink while tasting a few different types. Outside, draw inspiration from the tagged streets of the city for an experience that allows you spray paint your own mural on a public wall (legally) for all to see.
10. Dublin, Ireland: Find a beautiful home in the heart of Dublin, and explore what the Downtown scene has to offer outside of great pubs and strong stouts. Take a historical walking tour through the area led in song by an opera-trained singer. When you’re ready to try something that’s truly out of the ordinary, go spend a day exploring the world of falconry (so fetch).
Where are you spending your next vacation? Tag us in your photos on Instagram @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.