The 10 Best Airbnb Experiences That Let You Travel Like a Local
As much as we love going to a good theme park or seeing city hot spots, there’s something to be said about escaping the crowds and experiencing an unfamiliar place like the locals do. Airbnb, through their Experiences (there are now 13,000 of them in almost 180 cities), has given travelers the opportunity to do once-in-a-lifetime things in some of the most iconic places around the world with the help of a native guide. Based on ‘grams from those who booked these excursions, the site ranked the most-liked experiences they’re offering in 2018. If you’re curious to see which marketplace tours, history lessons, and cooking classes made the cut, keeping scrolling below before booking your next travel adventure.
1. Travel Back to Porto’s Roots, Porto, Portugal ($37 per person): This number-one-ranked activity allows you to take in the sights of this gorgeous coastal city from the perspective of a local. The guide Carlota, who was born and raised in Portugal, takes you through all of the city’s charming streets, back alleys, and hidden gems. Bonus: She’s a historian too, so you’re bound to walk away with a wealth of knowledge on this beloved seaside escape.
2. London Paddleboard Tour & SUP Yoga, London, UK ($90 per person): See London in a way we’re pretty sure you’ve never done before — by paddleboard. Yoga teacher and host Jennifer will guide you through the famous Regent’s Canal on a stand-up paddleboard, allowing you to soak up the scenery while getting a workout in the process. After noshing on fish and chips for a few days, you’ll be glad you signed up for this one.
3. Plastic Fishing, Amsterdam, Netherlands ($31 per person): Help keep the canals of Amsterdam plastic-free (and score some killer views while you’re at it). This two-hour plastic fishing adventure includes complimentary tea, fishing nets and gloves to aid with cleanup, blankets for keeping warm in the winter, a city tour from the skipper and, of course, the opportunity to do good for this history-rich place.
4. Lynn Canyon Hiking and Photography, Vancouver, CA ($79 per person): Take some terrific souvenirs (i.e., photos) home with you in this picture-perfect Vancouver adventure. Explore forests, waterfalls, and suspension bridges with a photography pro who gives you all the one-on-one instruction you need to snag shots sure to get tons of likes on everything from an iPhone to a fancy DSLR camera.
5. Explore the City’s Unseen Chinatown, Bangkok, Thailand ($43 per person): Take part in Thai-Chinese culture by wandering the streets of Bangkok’s lesser-known Chinatown. You’ll embark on a boat ride to the neighborhood, and then be led by your third-generation Chinese points of contact, who will give you a tour through the backroads to experience Chinese temples, markets, and cuisine. Be sure to come hungry!
6. Chinatown Shop & Food Walk, Milan, Italy ($74 per person): Take a break from bowls full of pasta to visit the Via Paolo Sarpi area of Milan (otherwise known as the city’s Chinatown). Antonella, the host of this Airbnb Experience, will guide you through a melting pot of Eastern and Occidental cultures with a personal walking and foodie tour. If items like “Chinese ravioli” and traditional aperitivos sound intriguing to you, be sure to book this one STAT.
7. Hidden Hike in Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia ($52 per person): Depart the bustling city for scenic views and some cardio too. Ultra-marathon runner and guide Fadly takes participants on a moderately paced hike to the summits along the East Tabur trail. After a morning of working out and taking in some stunning scenery, the excursion ends with a traditional breakfast at a local mom-and-pop restaurant.
8. Sail to Historic Landmarks, New York City, NY ($128 per person): One United States Coast Guard Certified Master Mariner, American Sailing Association Instructor, and former US Marine wants you to see the Big Apple in a whole new way. With his guidance, you’ll get your sea legs while you sail past iconic attractions and locations like the Statue of Liberty, Lower Manhattan, and Governors Island on this truly Insta-worthy trip.
9. A Classic Ride, Lisbon, Portugal ($59 per person): Save yourself some unnecessary wandering by stepping aboard local Miguel’s own vintage car (circa 1973) to cruise through Portugal’s capital city. Miguel will make pit stops at can’t-miss destinations around the town, like his favorite bakery and eateries, in what he considers the most “classic way” to see Lisbon.
10. Tapas Picnic, Barcelona, Spain ($80 per person): Get your appetites ready! Professionally trained chef Suzan wants to teach you how to eat Spanish tapas like a native. She’ll first guide you through the El Born area to shop for food and then take you on a picnic to teach you how to put everything together in a very appealing and delectable way.
What’s your favorite way to experience your travel destinations like a local? Tag us in your Insta-worthy activities @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)