15 Unexpected Hairstyles That Are Perfect for Your Wedding Day
There are so many decisions to make when it comes to planning your nuptials, but while wedding mags and shows are great for inspiration, they rarely serve up style advice that ventures beyond the beaten path. Who wants to look like every other bride on a day that is supposed to celebrate your individual style? Definitely not you. You’ve searched high and low to find DIY wedding favors, a non-traditional wedding dress and eye-popping decor, and you can’t very well drop the ball when it comes to your tresses. Your hair literally tops off your gown, so why not make it memorable? We’ve sourced some unexpectedly stylish strands that’ll give all the other brides-to-be a serious case of hair envy. Scroll on for some majorly unique hairspiration.
1. A Touch of Pink: No need to get rid of your pastel-tipped hair for your wedding — just incorporate the flirty hue into your bridal look. Soft, tousled waves or big barrel curls are the perfect way to take your ombre rose tresses from edgy to romantic and, most of all, memorable. (Photo via Mr. & Mrs. Unique)
2. Succulent Crown: Succulent bouquets or centerpieces are all over Pinterest, but wearing them in place of a typical flower crown feels so RN. They’re the perfect accent for an outdoor ceremony and reception, and can even stand alone in lieu of a traditional bouquet. Best of all, the miniature plants come in nice neutral shades to let your gown (and vows) do all the talking. (Photo via Katie Beverley)
3. Hair Stencils: As you may know, we love hair stencils over here at Brit + Co because they’re the perfect mix of edgy, eye-catching and non-commital. They can also be just what the stylist ordered to complete your next-level bridal look. Delicate lace designs and pastel hues pair with sleek updos to add a small dose of on-trend charm.
4. Paper Flower Crowns: Flower crowns aren’t just for music festivals and Snapchat filters — they’re a full-on boho bride must-have. This crown veers into uber-stylish territory thanks to a surprising material: paper. Paper is elegant and simple, and unlike real flowers, it won’t wilt throughout your day and night. (Photo via Lia Griffith)
5. Braids With a Twist: Braids are having a moment right now (especially for weddings), thanks in part to our fave Game of Thrones character Daenerys Targaryen. Give the plait an instant upgrade with a twist, courtesy of… a twist. This plait — a stacked Dutch braid with a French rope twist on top, to be exact — is beyond romantic without seeming too overdone. Rock this pulled-back style when you want to display a dress with an exquisite neckline.
6. Ribboned Mane: Highlight a shade from your wedding palette with this fairytale-inspired ‘do. You can’t go wrong with so many different textures, materials and widths to choose from, so finding the perfect ribbon for your tresses will be one of the easiest things to check off your to-do list.
7. Intricate Braids: A simple braid down the back is a bridal classic, but it can read a bit everyday for your wedding style. Up the ante and give your wedding day hairstylist a serious challenge with a super intricate plait.
8. Glitter Coif: There really isn’t anything under the sun that isn’t made better by glitter — including your wedding day ‘do. A slight dusting of sparkle adds a touch of fairy dust to your magical moment without overdosing on shine. (Photo via Ruffled Blog)
9. Coif Constellation: Add a little luxe to your wedding day hair with some truly stellar hair jewelry. This scattering of stars is the perfect look to rock while dancing the night away with the love of your life.
10. Hair Jewelry: When buying your ceremony jewelry, don’t forget to show a little love for your hair. Your tresses deserve to get the bejeweled treatment too, and this brooch by Keren Wolf is the chicest way to do it. This anti-tiara is tailor-made for the not-so-average bride who favors the unexpected. (Photo via Jaka Vinsek/ Martha Stewart Weddings)
11. Baby’s Breath: This inexpensive filler flower is making a serious comeback due to its classic colors and dainty appeal. Solange Knowles wore some in her ‘fro during her wedding reception, and if it’s cool enough for Solange, it’s cool enough for us. Scatter some blooms throughout your ‘do for a surprisingly sweet look.
12. Embellished Romance: “More is more” is a totally acceptable mantra come nuptial time. Instead of a simple yet elegant grosgrain ribbon headband, go for a super opulent embellished accessory and balance it with a classic, sleek center part. (Photo via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty)
13. Gold Part: If you’re a die-hard straight-hair-and-low-pony enthusiast, then this unanticipated detail is for you. Add a streak of glam via gold leaf on your part. Its refreshing allure will take your minimalist jewelry to new heights. (Photo via Joe Kohen/Getty)
14. Ombre Braided Crown: Just say no to basic bridal hair and embrace trendy ombre locks styled into an etherial braided halo. This easy-to-recreate look gives the illusion of a crown of gold, minus the hardware.
15. Sparkly Baubles: You’re wearing a gorgeous necklace, sparkling earrings and a huge rock on your finger, and now your tresses are feeling hella jealous. Elevate your bridal hair look with something a little more sparkly in the form of a seriously bejewelled headband that’ll catch your photog’s flash all night long. (Photo via Pietro D’Aprano/Getty)
Looking for more bridal inspiration? Check out our wedding boards on Pinterest!