It’s every couple’s dream to hear their friends and family say, “This is the most fun wedding I’ve ever been to!” But making sure your decor, theme, and boozy favors (to kickstart the party, of course) are on fleek is serious work. To cut down on the stress of it all, we’ve unlocked 10 secrets to throwing a super memorable post-wedding bash. Follow these tips and your guests will never want your reception to end!
1. Play danceable music. Whether you’ve hired a band or a DJ, plan a playlist of crowd-pleasing jams — not just your personal faves. “The last thing you want to see is your dance floor clear out due to an obscure indie rock anthem,” says Rachel Sylvester, Associate Real Weddings Editor from The Knot.
2. Hire a day-of coordinator. If you already have an event planner, awesome. If not, look into hiring one to oversee the details of the shindig. Sylvester says, “It’s worth it since you’ll be too busy celebrating your newlywed status to organize a rockin’ entrance or a round of Champagne for toasts.”
3. Change into something comfortable. After your first dance, swap your veil and train for a little white dress. If you’re free to move comfortably, there’s a good chance you’ll have a lot more fun — and your guests will follow suit.
4. Set up interactive food stations. A well-fed guest is a happy guest, so serve up signature treats that allow for a bit of customization. Sylvester suggests no-fail options like mac-and-cheese stations, grilled cheese lines, pasta bars, and donut walls.
5. Gift memorable swag. Put a twist on gifting tradition by setting up a sleek swag bar where guests can pick and choose which personalized presents they want to take home.
6. Schedule unexpected entertainment. Surprise your friends and fam with a totally unexpected event. “Hire a mariachi band, belly dancer, or acrobatic act for a serious *WOW* factor,” Sylvester suggests. GigMasters.com lists unique entertainment vendors across the country.
7. Refuel with late-night snacks. Late-night munchies, like sliders and French fries, will give the bash a second wind. If you’re not the burger and fries type, try bite-sized tacos or pizza by the slice.
8. Make a grand getaway. “While we love a good entrance, a stunning farewell is essential,” says Sylvester. Plan your reception to wind down with a powerful sendoff like a fireworks show or tearing off on a motorcycle.
9. Make it personal. Put a personal stamp on the affair with custom details that are oh-so-you. Sylvester recommends highlighting your affection for the beach with oyster shell escort cards or having the lyrics to your special song scrawled on the top tier of the cake.
10. Upgrade your welcome bags. Chances are, you won’t be able to greet all of your guests upon their arrival, so make out-of-towners feel welcome with a personal touch. “A note and locally sourced treats that include snacks, sips, weatherproof essentials, and hangover helpers will make visitors feel super special,” says Sylvester.
Would you incorporate these tips into your wedding? Let us know on Twitter at @BritandCo!
(Photos via The Knot)