For many of us, 2017 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2018! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
With an eventful 2017 behind us, we’re looking toward the future in every way — and that includes our everyday style. After all, what better time to overhaul your look than January? But if you’ve found yourself in the middle of a “new year, new me” wardrobe purge and you’re unsure of exactly which pieces are truly better left in the past, fear not. We’ve put together a simple checklist that will help guide you through the transition and navigate the next year in style. Scroll on to see which trends you should wave goodbye to for now and what styles you should make room for in your life (and closet).
Toss: Bomber Jacket
Okay, this silhouette had a good run, but in the interest of refreshing your look, retire it for a few. At first, the sporty style felt fresh and fun, but it quickly turned into the trend that wouldn’t die. Let’s let it Rest in Peace, at least for a little while. (Photo via Edward Berthelot/Getty)
keep (or Purchase): windbreaker
1. & Other Stories Cropped Windbreaker ($95): If it’s the sporty vibe you’re after, this is your season. The windbreaker is officially back and better than ever, so get physical but fashionable in the nylon revival.
Toss: Corset Belt
A phenomenon the Kardashian clan embraced wholeheartedly, the waist-cinching wonder was all but everywhere last season. Over tees, sweatshirt dresses, and even layered over tailored blazers, it became one of the style set’s favorite accessories. Now, we’re finally ready to wave this belt goodbye. (Photo via Christian Vierig/Getty)
keep (or Purchase): high-rise bottoms
2. Toit Volant Draco Pant ($226): Score that defined waist without the medieval-inspired accessory. High-rise pants and skirts are still totally happening, and you’ll earn bonus points if you rock one in of-the-moment dark denim.
Toss: cute saying tees
Sure, we LOL’d the first few times we saw the cheeky tee phenomenon (“But first, coffee”? Hilarious!). By now though, the whole thing is starting to feel more contrived than comical. Time to move on. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
keep (or purchase): Logo Tees
3. See by Chloe Logo-Print Cotton-Blend T-shirt ($98): With ’90s redux still hanging around, bank on getting some mileage out of the old-school logo craze, which is officially cool again. You may feel a little like a walking advertisement at first, but it will sure take you back to simpler times.
Toss: millennial pink
It’s the color you couldn’t escape in 2017. Don’t get us wrong; we love us some pink (and always will), but the time has come to graduate from this ubiquitous hue. (Photo via Edward Berthelot/Getty)
keep (or purchase): lavender
4. Wildfox Baume Sweater ($234): This spring is all about shades of purple — especially of the lilac variety. In this pastel shade, you’ll get your pretty fix and feel up-to-date at the same time.
Toss: ear cuffs and climbers
The upward climbing, ear-hugging thing has started to feel a bit stale. It’s time to drop it like it’s (not) hot. (Photo via Christian Vierig/Getty)
keep (or purchase): ’80s inspired statement earrings
5. Mango Mixed Pieces Earrings ($26): Let it all hang out. Sparkly, statement styles feel fun and fresh for spring.
Toss: robe coat
Sure, a drapey, kimono silhouette was great for throwing on over a tee and jeans. But now you can put this pajama-inspired style to bed. (Photo by Matthew Sperzel/Getty)
keep (or purchase): Updated trench
6. ASOS Oversized Trench in Vinyl ($143): Keep it sophisticated this season in a modernized take on the classic trench. With unexpected fabrications and special details, this outerwear staple will still feel totally interesting.
The unicorn obsession was real last year, and holographic metallic madness ensued. For spring, things are taking a more mod, less club-kid turn. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
Keep (or purchase): PLASTIC
7. Pixie Market Square Toe Black and Clear Strap Sandals ($182): Whether you choose the translucent version or a slick opaque, this season you’re going to want to be wrapped in plastic. And yes, it is indeed fantastic.
Toss: tassel jewelry
2017 was all about that swing, especially when it came to jewelry. Tassel earrings in silky cord and seed beads ruled through the better half of the year but now, they’re moving on. (Photo via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty)
keep: fringe clothing
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.