If you suffer from chronically dry, inflamed, or sensitive skin, your complexion could be lacking a little known, but super powerful element — ceramides. Plastic surgeon Melissa Doft explains, “Ceramides are waxy lipids which are naturally found in the outer layer of your skin that are instrumental in maintaining your skin barrier and preventing the loss of moisture.” When supplemented by the right skincare products, however, this all-too-important layer can even offer anti-aging perks to boot. “As your ceramide-level decreases with age, incorporating [them] into your routine will help replenish the skin’s natural lipids and help keep skin looking plump and hydrated,” Sarah Lee, co-founder and co-CEO of Glow Recipe, notes. Consider us convinced. Here are 15 skin-quenching products to try that will replenish this skin barrier with each application.
1.Sans Ceuticals pH Perfect Body and Hand Wash ($28): If you didn’t know, now you do: The moisture-draining effects of damaged skin can also be experienced on the hands and body. Harsh chemicals can often cause the initial problem, but this chemical-free wash is the clean, plant-based solution.
2. SkinFix Foaming Oil Cleanser & Mask Duo ($65): Amy Regan, the CEO of SkinFix, recommends this power-couple of hydration to solve your cleansing woes. She explains, “Our new Calm & Repair Sleeping Mask was formulated to bathe the skin in protective moisture overnight. It includes our special blend of botanically sourced Ceramides 1, 3, and 6 to help reinforce the barrier and wake up to soft, supple, healthy skin.”
3. Yuri Pibu Artichoke Power Essence ($38): Chang calls on this essence (which is quickly developing a cult following) for post-cleanse tightening. Apply it after toning and before your moisturizer to experience pore-minimizing and elasticity-restoring powers.
4. Paula’s Choice RESIST Moisture Renewal Booster ($36): Add this oil to your serum or moisturizer to douse your dry, Sahara-like skin in a mega-dose of soothing hydration. Yes, please.
5. Skin Inc. Ceramide Strengthen and Soothe ($35): This potion is specifically formulated to hydrate and fortify your complexion. The best part? You can blend it with two other skin concern-targeting products of your choice from the company’s line of 11 serums.
6. Marie Veronique Barrier Lipid Complex ($85): The holistic skincare line focuses on the health of the skin’s biome, including the fortification of the skin’s lipid layer. Made of ceramides, fatty acids, and cholesterol, this serum is the ultimate.
7. Cerave Skincare Moisturizing Cream ($15): This drugstore staple is surprisingly soothing for the skin. Doft noted that this buy is best for those with extra dry or sensitive skin.
8. Mario Badescu Ceramide Herbal Eye Cream ($18): What do you do when a cult-favorite skincare line sells a ceramide-enhanced, anti-aging eye cream? You try it. ‘Nuff said.
9. Make P:Rem Peel Me Radiance Peeling Sleeping Pack ($30): Meet the clean K-beauty sleeping mask that exfoliates your skin using lactobionic acid and hydrates. Chang explains, “[T]he ceramide in this formula helps nourish, hydrate, and strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier.”
10. Zo Skin Health Ossential Daily Power Defense ($150): Retailers struggle to keep this ceramide-boosted baby stocked, because the multi-tasker protects, treats, hydrates, and fights aging at once.
11. Epionce Medical Barrier Cream ($45): When your outer layer is at its most fragile — especially during post-treatment recovery (recent laser skin treatment, anyone?) — this is the one cream you’ll want to reach for.
12. SkinMedica TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream ($69): With each application, growth factors, antioxidants, and proteins help stimulate your body’s repair of its precious moisture-rich asset.
13. Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich ($35): If you’re a fan of the “bounce-inducing” Glossier priming moisturizer, grab the rich formulation for even more TLC that gets to work before you apply makeup.
14. Blithe InBetween Hydro Priming Cream ($45): Behold a K-Beauty gem that protects your skin and sets the stage for your go-to makeup routine.
Will you incorporate ceramides into your skincare regimens? Tell us in Pinterest!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.