40 White Elephant Gift Ideas for Every Member of the Family
Family holiday parties can be awkward: You’re dealing with potential out-of-left-field remarks from your one outspoken relative, you’re surrounded by lots of ugly Christmas sweaters, and you just can’t remember your cousin’s girlfriend’s name for the life of you. That tension can be hard to break (we try with the wine, we fail with the inevitable hangover), but a guaranteed goofy way of keeping things lighthearted is a good old-fashioned game of Yankee Swap — AKA White Elephant. The goal here is to find the weirdest ways to make your family laugh while getting them something that’s still sort of cool and to avert attention from the grumblings over no open oven space. Scroll through for our list of 40 perfectly wacky white elephant gifts to give every member of your family.
White Elephant Gift Ideas for Your Mom
1. Muuto Balance Vase ($77): You look up to your mom for balancing everything. Show her love by helping her balance some poinsettias on the mantel.
2. The Handbag Raincoat ($29): She’ll look goofy, but she will absolutely use it all the time (perfect for rainy grocery store trips).
3. Uncommon Goods Wine Pearls ($25): Keep that vino chilled without watering it down.
4. Baker’s Edge Nonstick Edge Brownie Pan ($40): Let’s face it — the corners are the best part! This pan knows what’s up.
5. Archie McPhee 3D Chandelier Air Freshener ($6): Turn that minivan into a mini ballroom.
6. 50 Shades of Bacon Cookbook by Benjamin Myhre ($13): Combine your mom’s favorite book (which you really hate to admit) with your love of bacon (which you aren’t afraid to admit, because, duh, bacon is amazing).
7. Bad Ass Candles Bad Ass Bitch Candle ($18): Give props to your mom by letting her know she’s your original Girl Boss.
8. Logitech Keys-to-Go Portable Keyboard ($50): Now moms everywhere can Facebook and wine safely.
White Elephant Gift Ideas for Your Dad
1. Antler & Co. Campfire Cologne ($13): How dad can smell like summer bonfires all year long.
2. Witty Yeti Fake Mold Sandwich Bags ($9, for a 40 pack): For office gross-outs/gags and the ultimate sandwich protection.
3. Ideas in Life Jumbo Band-Aid Car Magnet ($11): Even fender benders should have a sense of humor.
4. Chef Buddy Self Stirring Mug ($8): For the dad on the go who has no time for silly spoons.
5. Reed Wilson Design Club Neighbors Doormat ($50) This doormat makes the dad joke so your dad won’t have to.
6. Freaker Noonan Gopher Caddyshack Socks ($20): Your dad’s love of Caddyshack and golf shouldn’t have to stop at T-shirts.
7. Cardboard Safari iPad TV Stand ($34): This is the magic that can happen when millennial technology dresses up as a retro TV set.
8. The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray by Robert Schnakenberg ($23): Let’s face it — even your dad wishes Bill Murray was his dad.
White Elephant Gift Ideas for Your Brother
1. Doly Fixie Bike Pizza Cutter ($11): Handlebar mustache and messenger bag not included.
2. Zimo DIY Ukulele Kit ($40): Encourage craftiness and some sweet tunes with this kit (just no smashing, because mom would get soooooo mad).
3. Nintendo Super Mario Bros Can Cooler ($13): Take every canned drink up a level.
4. MiiR Bottles Stainless Steel Tall Boys ($24): These tallboys aren’t just a grown-up college throwback; they’ll be crazy useful during a weekend camping getaway.
5. The “I Don’t Know How to Cook” Book by Mary-Lane Kamberg ($17): With this handy book, there will be no excuse for nightly frozen pizzas.
6. DODO Case Pop-Up Virtual Reality Viewer ($25): As kids, virtual reality seemed like the craziest cool science stuff we can imagine. Even in the age of smartphones, you can still live out that childhood magic (through cardboard, no less).
7. Star Wars Darth Vader Clear Rain Poncho ($8): For the rainy day Jedi in all of us. The (wind) force is strong with this one.
8. Play Visions Nose Aerobics Basketball Game ($11): Cup and ball: The hipster edition.
White Elephant Gift Ideas for Your Sister
1. Mini Crystal + Air Plant Set ($18): Every girl wanted a little crystal garden. Grown-ass ladies should be able to live that dream too!
2. Perks of Aurora RBG Mug ($17): The power that comes with a full mug of coffee, amirite?
3. Hella Buttons Shop ’90s Pin Pack ($5+): Rock your love of the SNICK era on your sleeve (or your jean jacket).
4. Betches The Icon Tee ($36): Buy this for your sis now; steal it from her later.
5. PBTeen Wire Cat Ear Headphones ($45): For the cat-loving sis who likes to represent her feline love (or who’s just really into Ariana Grande).
6. Wild Fable Pizza BFF Necklaces ($10): Share a slice (and some love) with your OG besties.
7. Uncommon Goods Personalized Mixtape Pillow ($58): Commemorate your favorite sisterly jams with this crazy-cozy pillow!
8. Sriracha To-Go Bottle Keychain ($8): Not every restaurant has Sriracha, and a girl has to be prepared.
White Elephant Gift Ideas for Your Grandparents
1. Oenophilia Wine Glass Holder Necklace ($9): Your grandma will never lose track of her merlot at a family party again.
2. Plus One Plush Corgi Pillow ($43): Getting a dog for your grandparents: kind of a burden. Getting them this big ol’ Corgi pillow: an adorable addition to the couch (that doesn’t need to go for walks!).
3. Kinglake Mini Colored Wooden Hearts Clothespins ($12): Laundry is a labor of love. Add a special touch to your grandparents’ routine with these clothespins.
4. Trip Grip Grocery Bag Holder ($6): Trips to the grocery store just got a lot less painful (literally and figuratively).
5. Wada Designs Custom Cartoon Family Portrait Digital ($69+): Now you can get a custom cartoon portrait of your whole fam! Soon, your grandparents’ walls will quickly be filled with custom cartoon portraits of your whole family.
6. Finger Board Football Game ($11): Turn any coffee table or desk into a mini-game arena.
7. Banana Phone Wireless Mobile Handset ($40): Chat with your GPs like in the old days without getting a landline.
8. Accoutrements Inflatable Unicorn Horn ($13): Warning: once you give it to them, your grandparents will totally make you wear it for the remainder of the family party.
What kind of weird stuff do you plan on getting for your fam? Check out more gift ideas for everyone on your list on our Pinterest page!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.