9 Products That Will Keep Your Hair Conditioned in the Cold Winter Months
It’s a fact that cold, harsh weather can lead to dry, damaged hair. So let’s get to the root of the issue (pun intended), by addressing the two main culprits behind worn-out winter tresses: Either your scalp doesn’t produce enough natural oil or the condition of your hair is allowing moisture to escape. It goes without saying that soft, shiny strands are #goals no matter the time of year, and that starts with hydration. Hydrated hair not only looks and feels healthier, but it’s able to hold styles better (yes, that means your blowout will last longer). Luckily, there are a number of hair-moisturizing formulas on the market to save your strands just in time for the holiday season. Give your locks a little TLC with these MVPs (most valuable products) stat.
1. Yes to Carrots Nourishing Carrot Shampoo ($9): Over-washing and under-conditioning can lead to devastatingly dry and brittle hair. The first thing to do is switch your shampoo to a nourishing formula and resist the urge to wash every day. Experts say shampooing once or twice a week will definitely get the job done. Use this product to add extra moisture and revitalize tired tresses bi-weekly. Hey, if Kim K admits to only shampooing every five days, it’s good enough for us.
2. TRESemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray ($4): It’s best to keep heat styling to a minimum when the temps start to take a dive. When you do need to blow dry, curl or flatiron your hair, make sure to spritz on a heat protectant before styling to ensure the least amount of damage. This heat-activated formula will enhance the hair’s flexibility so that it maintains its shape post styling.
3. Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist ($12): Add some much-needed conditioning to your mane with a moisturizing spray. Its star ingredient is awapuhi, a Hawaiian flower, which delivers softening effects to hair and reactivates styling products midday. Bonus points awarded, because this product also works well on your skin!
4. Unwash Bio-Cleansing Conditioner ($36): Formulated with rich oils and extracts, this sulfate- and paraben-free conditioner attracts and removes dirt and buildup without stripping your strands to restore balance for healthy, silky locks. Plus, it’s safe for color-treated hair. Win-win!
5. Drybar Bay Breeze Hydrating Shots ($38): These single-use shots deliver essential hydration to dry, lifeless locks. Think of them as the ultimate thirst quencher for your hair. The best part? When used weekly, this super-concentrated formula also supports scalp health.
6. Pureology Fresh Approach Dry Conditioner ($24): Trust us on this — dry conditioner is a winter essential. While dry shampoo can hold it down between washes, dry conditioner actually soothes and softens your hair between styling. We recommend this solution especially for all you color-treated babes.
7. amika Nourishing Mask ($28): When your hair is feeling extra parched, a weekly mask is an absolute must. This luxurious, conditioning treatment deeply penetrates and fortifies your hair and seals those pesky split ends that crop up between trims. This, m’friends, is a must buy.
8. OGX Extra Strength Moroccan Argan Oil Penetrating Hair Oil ($8): This exotic argan oil blend is specially formulated to penetrate coarse, brittle hair that creeps up come wintertime and bring it back to life courtesy of its high-viscosity formula. The oils create a protective barrier from harmful styling heat and UV damage. What more could you ask for?
9. Hum Red Carpet ($25): All the topical treatments in the world can’t help solve your hair woes if you aren’t doing your part on the inside. By that, we mean drinking plenty of water and taking a vitamin — like this vegetarian softgel —that promotes hydrated hair from the inside out.
Follow us on Pinterest for more hair inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)