Zack Morris Called. He Wants His Neon Back.
There's no better way kick off March's NEON theme than with an ode to old school neon. Any child of the 80s and 90s has a deeply rooted fondness for fluorescence, and we're all pretty pumped that the neon trend is back in full force. And, thanks to our bestie the Internet, we can find a good number of those throwback threads on eBay, Etsy, Amazon and Body Glove. (Yes, Body Glove.)
Some of these pieces are vintage finds so they are likely one of a kind, but should serve as good fodder for constructing a vintage neon look. Wearing all of these pieces at once might be a bit much, but adding a daily dose of neon flair to your wardrobe is the perfect way to usher in a little spring sunshine.
1. Nike Get In Shape Flight Lite ACGs ($75): This pair of brightly-colored Nikes is a prototype that never actually came out. They're a cross between hiking boots and basketball sneakers, and would look mighty festive coupled with a pair of teeny tiny 80s running shorts.
3. Catchit Neon Caution Tape Surf Culture Volleyball Shorts 80s ($50): Had to include the full eBay product title here because what could be more 80s than a pair of shorts that combines neon, caution tape, surf culture, and volleyball?
4. Glow-in-the-Dark Neon Gimp 4-Pack ($9): Also known as boondoggle, scoubidou and lanyard, we just might have this 4-pack of gimp lying around the office desperately seeking a brand new use.
6. Vintage Troll ($8): It's impossible to kick it old school without referencing a troll. Ok, maybe not impossible, but how happy are you that this 80s troll exists and is staring you in the face right now?
9. Rainbow Sundae Sunglasses with Built-in Visor ($10): Another one where the title really tells the story. The built-in visor with rainbow sundae print just screams I was a huge fan of Andre Agassi and ice cream in the early 90s.
10. 1980s Pink Triangles Cropped Sweater ($64): We love this! It's bright, cropped and knitted with love. This would look awesome with a pair of skinny jeans and a chunky agate necklace.
11. Vintage Skateboard Neon Duffle Bag ($8): Here's the scene. You're in 6th grade. You've got braces and a penchant for Princess Leia braided buns. 8th grader Tommy Swanhouse is just too dreamy for words and rocks a skateboard (and skateboard duffle) like nobody's business.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)