The advent of dating apps such as Bumble (where women are the ones to make the first move) is just one more step in a cultural shift away from traditional dating norms. Now that women have the power to make moves, it’s time to take full advantage of our favorite dating apps. Armed with tried and true (and mom-approved!) profile tricks and Tinder’s new algorithm, add these five tips to your arsenal of first-move, well, moves.
1. Be complimentary. Whether you like the shirt they’re wearing in their profile picture or a funny joke in their bio, starting off the conversation with a genuine compliment is a sure-fire way to be memorable and make a great first impression all at the same time.
2. Find common ground. If their bio talks about one of your favorite sports teams or movies, dive right into the conversation with a comment about what you have in common. Not only will you get noticed, but you’ll have an easy start to the conversation.
3. Bring on the LOLs. Whether you like corny or sarcastic jokes, a great thing to have in common with someone is a sense of humor. Put your potential partner’s humor to the test by putting your own on display in their DMs.
4. Make a bet. Appeal to their competitive side by starting off your conversation by making a bet — say, if they’re from a city with a rival sports team, that you’ll buy them drinks if their team beats yours, or vice versa. As a bonus, you might even set yourself up for a date without even trying!
5. Play 20 questions. The best part about asking a question is it renders necessary a response. Ask about their profile, where they’re from or even their job. If they’re from Chicago, for example, you might ask if they’ve ever been to Lollapalooza.
Have any more tips for making moves on dating apps? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)