One of the most iconic characters in movie history sported a blue gingham dress and pigtail braids (we’re looking at you: Dorothy Gale), and we all know that in fashion, what goes around, comes around. While the traditional pattern may be classic, we love that it can sway from retro to contemporary depending on how you style it. Whether you add a small gingham detail to your hair or totally deck yourself out in checks, here are 21 ultra modern ways to rock the gingham trend.
1. Shirttail Top ($103): No matter what the season is, layering is always key when it comes to smart dressing. This tee makes it easy: it’s got a gingham layer sewn right in!
2. Bow Headband ($32): Go retro Rosie the Riveter on ‘em with this adorable gingham bow headband. No tying required.
3. Lucca Couture Gingham Collared Dress ($59): Every girl needs a LGD — a little gingham dress — and this one’s it! Not only is it shockingly affordable, but it’s the perfect frock for literally any occasion.
4. Jaded London Pastel Pencil Skirt ($74): Have a picnic while you’re wearing a picnic-print skirt. Throw it on with a graphic tee for a bold statement or a loose sweater for a more casual look.
5. Flocked Treggings ($50): These. Are. Adorable. While a solid top would certainly ground these stretchy leggings, they also look pretty freaking awesome with floral print.
6. Sweatshirt With Gingham Sleeves ($57): A touch of gingham goes a long way. This sweater with printed sleeves makes a super chic and edgy statement and it’s cozy. Score!
7. Linen Dress ($345): This lovely pink and white gingham dress is printed in a large scale to evoke a more whimsical feel. But you don’t have to be a country girl to rock this pretty perfection!
8. Shirred Skirt ($88): A fun flouncy mini skirt is a closet staple for spring — especially when it’s in black and white.
9. Skater Slip-On Sneakers ($35): Skater slip-ons are the coolest sneaks on the block right now, and these gingham printed ones are right on-trend. They’re a little bit of country and a little bit of rock ‘n’ roll.
10. Sequin Sleeve Shirt Button Down Shirt ($250): Classic button-downs are so great because they can be worn in so many ways. But this one takes the classic to a whole new level of awesomeness with its sparkly sleeves.
11. Shift Dress ($209): If you’re attending a wedding or garden party this spring, we just found your dress. It’s pretty, it’s appropriate and it’s flattering. What more could you want?
12. Sleeveless Paisley Dress ($1,325): Take a dress, make it neon turquoise and add some baroque swirls, and you’ve got yourself gingham a la Versace. Plus, it has pockets. Score!
13. Bow Lock Frame Clutch ($78): This cute clutch covered in gingham from Betsey Johnson adds some fun to any outfit. Whether you wear it to work or rock it at night, you can’t go wrong with a box clutch like this one.
14. Bow Pointed Courts ($164): There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home. Okay, so they’re not exactly ruby slippers, but the gingham and bows do remind us of Dorothy — and that’s definitely not a bad thing.
17. PVC Crossbody Bag ($265): This adorable crossbody bag may be too fancy for your picnic in the park, but it’s definitely fit for any other occassion. A blue and white check pattern will add a pop to even the simplest of outfits.
18. Shirt Dress ($128): Channel your inner 1950s housewife with this green and white gingham shirt dress. It’s got pleat details and a belt that ties at the waist, making it equally flattering and stylish.
20. Samantha Pants ($595): These Michael Kors gingham cropped pants can take you straight from desk to dinner. Just add heels.
21. Tuxedo Shirt ($150): While this may be inspired by a tuxedo shirt, it definitely errs on the casual side. This shirt is awesome because it’s tailored enough to wear to work, but can be thrown on with a pair of jeans on the weekends.
Are you a gorgeous-in-gingham girl? Tell us how you wear your checks in the comments!