The weather is getting colder and we are already grabbing for cool-weather styles, from seasonal staples like cozy cardigans to our new favorite way to keep warm and stylish: turtleneck dresses. This neck-warming luxury isn’t how you remember the sweater dress of the ’90s. The toasty treasures of today are as figure-flattering as knits get (even in more relaxed silhouettes), and in a season defined by layering, this toss-on-and-go piece is pretty priceless. So we’ve found our 11 favorite high-neck frocks to wear this fall — no scarves necessary.
1. Ralph Lauren Houndstooth Turtleneck Dress ($225): The Mod revival seen through Ralph Lauren’s classic eyes is so, so good. Patent leather boots are a must to complete this retro-chic look.
2. Forever21 Longline Turtleneck Sweater ($23): A turtleneck dress for date night? Yep, this royal blue piece is the one to wow in. Dress it up with slick booties and a belt for pumpkin-spiced cocktail hour or wear it with leggings and sneaks for a day at the apple orchard.
3. Anthropologie Damson Dress ($138): If you’re floored by this flattering turtleneck dress, know you’re in good company. We just can’t get over the chic factor on this one, from the rich mulberry hue to the ruched hems and the just-scrunched-enough three-quarter sleeves.
4. ASOS Belted Dress With Turtleneck ($61): This might be the most work-worthy turtleneck dress we’ve ever seen. Subtle darting at the waist gives this lightweight knit a more structured feel, not to mention that contrast belt adding even more definition to the look. All it’s missing is a boxy blazer.
5. Wilfred Free Bianca Dress ($175): Behold: The LBTD, or Little Black Turtleneck Dress. That to-the-thigh slit makes this relaxed fit knit totally sexy, turtleneck be damned!
6. The Laden Showroom x Paisie Zig Zag High Neck Shift Dress ($105): Make a name for yourself on the street style scene in this graphic print turtleneck dress. Extra fashion girl points for the socks + strappy sandals combo.
7. Somedays Lovin Whiskey Spider Knit Dress ($98): A keyhole cutout makes this turtleneck mini-dress a standout star. Look close and you’ll even spot some sequined detailing that will keep those heads turned.
8. Anne Klein Color Block Rib Knit Turtleneck Dress ($139): Here’s why we’re totally obsessed with color blocking: the simple pop-of-color panel is not only striking, but is ultra flattering on any form. We’d wear this dress to any major meeting — with our favorite power pumps — in a heartbeat.
9. Samuji Ecru Wool Stripe Wera Dress ($265): Been itching to dress like a French girl? This dress is calling your name, mon cheri — and all but demanding to be worn with a bright red lip.
10. Stained Glass Ikat Dress ($138): This is the turtleneck dress for girls who swore off the silhouette after 1995. A mock neck keeps this dress more polished than most of its kind, it’s cinched at the waist to create a flirty + flattering shape, and that pattern! More all-over Ikat, please!
11. Hatch The Turtleneck Dress ($378): We have to agree with Hatch, this is THE turtleneck dress, at once chic and so totally cozy. Made of super soft cashmere, this is one splurge you will not stop snuggling.
Which of these stylish turtlenecks is your fave? Tell us in the comments below!