Weekday morning outfit panic is unavoidable. There’s nothing worse than standing in your closet, surrounded by clothes (clothes that you love, BTW) and still having absolutely no idea what to wear. If you’re anything like us, it happens at least once a week, no matter which outfit formulas worked in the days and weeks before. And on particularly rough days when nothing you pair together seems to really hit the mark, there’s only one piece in your closet that you know always will. There’s just something about a classic, bright white button-down shirt that instantly puts a frazzled mind at ease. Always chic and never overstated, it’s a wardrobe essential for a reason. This season, try a new, trendy twist on this classic, must-have look. Need a little inspiration? Girl, we got you.
EMBROIDERY AND EMBELLISHMENTS
1. Madewell White Cotton Courier Shirt ($65): For a quick update to your beloved button-down, get your monogram (or your pet’s name, or an inside joke) embroidered above the chest pocket. Then pair it with dark skinnies and penny loafers for a perfectly preppy look.
2. Zara Oversized Poplin Shirt ($40): These irreverent patches add low-key cool to the classic wardrobe staple. Pick up this showstopper or DIY the look at home to make it more personal. Either way, straight vintage jeans and sky-high pumps will seal the deal for this on-trend look.
3. Pomelo Catriona Peplum Button Up Shirt ($39): Bell sleeves are everywhere right now, and for good reason — they add instant edge to even the most subdued look. Tuck it into a colorful pencil skirt for a trend-setting outfit that will have passersby wondering if it’s fashion week already.
4. Thomas Mason® for J.Crew Collarless Tuxedo Shirt ($138): If you love the look of a tuxedo shirt but want something that’s fancy without the fuss, then this shirt deserves a spot in your closet. Its collarless neckline is just begging to be paired with a vibrant pair of tassel earrings.
5. Mango Tie-Neck Blouse ($60): Neckerchiefs, neck scarves, skinny scarves — no matter what you call them, these little add-ons exude a casual rock-star vibe. This white-on-white take on the must-have style will look so fresh and so clean paired with high-waisted jeans or printed trousers.
6. ASOS WHITE Extreme Dipped Back Shirt ($89): Everything about this shirt is MAJOR, including, of course, the exaggerated hemline. The best part is that it’s such a versatile top: Dress it up with stovepipe trousers in a luxe jewel tone, or dress it down with black skinnies and Stan Smiths a la the photo above.
Looking for more must-haves for your closet? Inspiration is right this way, on our Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.