12 Genius Ways to Create a Space-Saving Book Nook
As any book lover knows, it doesn’t take long for bookshelves to start overflowing, which makes small space living a mighty big challenge for the passionate bibliophile. If you’re currently living this struggle, rest assured that you’re not alone. And thank goodness for that, because others just like you have come up with a bevy of ingenious storage solutions for even the smallest of book nooks. From beneath the bed to the tippy top of the room, no storage stone is left unturned. If you’re looking for more space to support your bookish sensibility, look no further — there’s a solution below with your name on it.
1. Custom Shelving: A surefire way to maximize your space is to customize wherever you can. Floating shelves are super simple to install and they help you make the most of what you have, from floor to ceiling. (via Gravity Home)
2. Closet Nook: To look at this sweet spot sans furniture, most would be hard-pressed to believe it could be transformed into such a warm, inviting reading nook. It just goes to show how far a little creative ingenuity can take you. (via HomeDesignBiz)
3. Book Decor: If you’re concerned that filling your room with books will overcrowd your aesthetic, consider taking your books’ decor potential to the next level. Colorful patterns will eliminate visual chaos and create organization in its place. (via Heather Zerah Interiors)
4. Lofty Leisure: A loft can decrease clutter and increase your space exponentially. Plus, it’s quite possible that there is no cozier place to spend a rainy day of reading. (via Cup of Jo)
5. Get Low: A lot of people overlook the lower half of the room when it comes to storage potential, but it’s packed with possibilities. A bookshelf like this one is a great way to separate a studio apartment while providing a whole bunch of space-saving utility. (via Mi Casa Revista)
6. Get High: Just as you can take advantage of the oft-overlooked lower part of your room, the highest parts of your space can work storage magic too. If you have a ton of books to store but don’t want to sacrifice all of your wall art real estate, hang ’em high so that both your books and your art can have their moment. (via Domino)
7. Use Every Cranny: Who needs a blank wall when you can fill-in-the-blank with your favorite authors? If walls full of books are on your wishlist, consider reserving a spot for spacious organization — like this clean and clutter-free headboard — to create a bigger, more open appearance. (via Domino)
8. Urban Outfitters Border Storage Platform Bed ($1,169): Shelves are only one option, not *the* only option. Put your bed on double-duty by taking advantage of this brilliant storage idea.
9. Tree of Knowledge: Store more books in less space by forgoing standard horizontal shelves in favor of a book tree. As your reading queue expands, so can your branches — the sky’s the limit! (via homedit)
10. Maximized Minimalism: Apartment living can be tough for the avid reader with an eye for minimalism. Unless, of course, you capitalize on this idea. Keep your aesthetic free and clear while storing bountiful books with this storage solution. (via A New Slant)
11. Color Complements: If an abundance of colorful books is cramping your monochromatic style, simply turn ’em around. Voila! Aesthetic harmony. (via Historiska Hem)
Looking for more ways to maximize your space? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)