5 Benefits of Side Hustling That Have Nothing to Do With Money
Are you aboard the side-hustle train yet? If so, you’re part of a growing, ambitious sector of society — it’s estimated that over one-third of millennials have a side hustle. Put simply, a side hustle is a business you run in your free time that allows you the flexibility to pursue what you’re most interested in. It’s a chance to delve into fashion blogging, jewelry-making, career coaching, or whatever else you’re passionate about (while keeping your day job and paycheck). Aside from the additional (uncapped!) revenue stream, a side hustle has a string of other major benefits too. Here are five of our faves.
1. You’ll (surprisingly!) like your day job more. Living life with a clear and defined purpose outside the office will help you care a lot less about being bored at work. When I was employed and life coaching & writing on the side, my salary took all financial pressure off my business, which, ironically, helped it grow so fast. The power of my side hustle intention seeped into every area of my life and even left me more energized in my cubicle.
2. You’ll lose the toxic types. Ain’t nothin’ like a busy, inspired, focused person to deflect negative Nancies. Rocking a side hustle means you’ll be naturally busier and engaged. This means you will have to say “no” to more stuff — and the first to go will be the people who don’t energize you. Ciao!
3. You’ll make new friends. Once you’re immersed in your new biz, you’ll naturally be a magnet to other people like you. I met a whole circle of life coaches, wellness experts, and bloggers when I became a coach. Your high-flying vibes will attract your new tribe instantly! There is no end to the opening of online and offline communities that will unfold for you.
4. You’ll grow. There is nothing like an entrepreneurial venture to teach you a million new things. From creating a website to networking to balancing a business bank account every month, you’ll be picking up fresh skills left and right. More than that, you’ll be a new person: a CEO. Boom, #girlboss!
5. You’ll shine. Ever seen a person living their passion: a singer with a microphone, an artist with a pencil, a party planner with a clipboard and an empty space? There’s nothing quite like living your passion here on Earth. When I started my side hustle, people told me I looked better. Because I did! I felt lighter. There was color in my cheeks and a different energy in my walk. I was happy. No matter what you’re doing, is there any greater benefit than that?
What’s your side hustle, or what are you thinking about turning into one? Spill the deets to us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)