5 Reasons Side Hustles Are Good for Your Career
“You don’t have a career, you have a life.” — Cheryl Strayed
A side hustle is a business that generates real cash, as you run it in your free time. It gives you the flexibility to pursue the career of your dreams. It’s a chance to add freelance work in art, travel, fashion, or whatever you’re passionate about while maintaining your nine-to-five paycheck. It is the magical door that opens you up to major opportunities and freedom in a very short period of time. So how can one, in fact, be good for your career?
1. You add more strings to your bow. Ever feel boxed in at work? You’re not alone! My side hustle, while I worked as a sales director for a Fortune 500 company, was life coaching. I’d read over 550 personal development books and was a natural adviser — especially when it came to topics like confidence, negotiating, and connecting to your purpose. After over a decade in sales (which in large part I loved), I knew I was ready for something different. My side hustle added the spice to my life that I craved. It even made me better at my day job, because coaching techniques are very relevant and powerful in every field. The same goes for most skills!
2. You stand out! Once I started publishing articles to attract clients and shared the pieces on social media, many of my peers sought advice on how to launch a new project of their own. Having a side gig is increasingly commonplace and acceptable, especially if you’re a hard-working employee and your hustle isn’t a conflict of interest. It also just makes you more interesting!
3. There’s less pressure on your day job. Your side hustle will give you a stronger negotiating position with your boss. As it’s your own business, your income isn’t capped, and there’s no glass ceiling to contend with. If your employer knows that your side gig is giving you that solid income stream, then power in your work relationship can over time shift to you. This makes it much easier to ask for what you want — remote working hours, extra vacation, raises, etc. Hustle on!
4. It boosts your confidence. Improving in one area of your life always improves other areas too. There are no isolated life skills or experiences we go through that do not help us in our future endeavors. Taking responsibility for your work, your income, and your hours brings you tremendous self-reliance. It astounds me how many people feel their corporate skill set — or any experience they have from years of working — is not transferable to a side business. A lot of what you know from your professional life can be used in other valuable ways.
5. You create opportunities. If there’s some reason you don’t like your job, a side hustle gives you options. It’s your gateway to entrepreneurship. Spanx was a side hustle — now it’s a billion-dollar business. Side gigs are unlimited in their potential. Plus, the majority of millionaires have multiple revenue streams, and the economy in 2017 teaches us that there is no safety (or fun!) in a single paycheck anymore. A side hustle is the practical route to a corporate exit, the way to fulfill a lifelong dream, and the chance to make the impact you came onto this planet to have. It’s your ticket to more wealth, creativity, freedom, security, influence, and joy.
What side hustle could turn your dormant dreams into a richer reality? Tweet us your ideas @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)