9 Must-See Style Trends From the 2015 ACM Awards
When you hear that the biggest stars in country music are all getting together for the genre showcase that is the Academy of Country Music Awards, it’s easy to envision a red carpet flooded with cowboy boots and checkered button-downs. That was not the case at last night’s 50th annual ACMs (although, Justin Moore did show up with a red Solo cup in hand). After sifting though the best arrival looks, we’ve uncovered a slew of trends that would suit your country and little more rock and roll sides just the same, including two must-have summer colors, some serious beach wave inspiration and the perfect-for-spring pink lipstick. Scroll down to check out nine copy-worthy trends from the star-studded event.
1. Electric Blue: While white was definitely the go-to color at the award shows earlier this year, it looks like this bold shade of blue was the top choice in Texas. Hillary Scott of Lady Antebellum rocked the color in a ruffled gown, Danielle Bradbery opted for trendy matching separates and Luke Bryan’s beau, Caroline Boyer chose to step up the drama with some added embellishments.
2. Graphic Prints: It feels a little bit like we’re headed back to the ’60s in these ultra-graphic black and white looks. Jana Kramer and Dierks Bentley’s wife Cassidy Black walked the red carpet in similar patterns with drastically different hemlines, while Mickey Guyton took the look to a more tropical-feeling place by adding in a little floral action.
3. Beach Waves: Arlington, TX is about 300 miles from the nearest beach, but you’d never know it by the looks of this red carpet hair trend. The laid-back ladies of country music skipped the intricate updos and instead opted for loose, tousled curls. Ashley Monroe’s platinum locks were the tamest of the bunch, while Kimberly Perry and Jana Kramer totally embraced the messy, voluminous look.
4. Crystal Embellishments: It looks like these two co-stars/besties might just be spending too much time together. Sofía Vergara and Reese Witherspoon both walked the red carpet in black dresses full of heavy silver embellishments. They did differ slightly when it came to the hemline though: Sofía went for a long and lean look in a knee-length gown while Reese kept things short and sweet in a mini A-line number.
5. Hot Pink: Electric blue was definitely the winning shade of the night, but hot pink came in at a close second. Curly haired, Kimberly Schlapman definitely won for most dramatic in her belted ballgown while Justin Moore’s wife Kate rocked the same shade in a slender, strapless number. Jason Aldean’s new wife, Brittany Kerr sported a slightly less saturated version of the color in a high collared dress with a show-stopping slit.
6. Dual-Toned Jackets: ACM fashion wasn’t all about the ladies. The boys of country really brought it this year with one major sartorial risk: dual-toned jackets. Thomas Rhett opted for the color of night in his electric blue + navy ensemble, Scotty McCerry kept things simple in a black + navy combo and Frankie Ballard really went for it in a bold, red jacket with a contrasting black collar. (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Pink Lips: While the shades did vary slightly, pink was definitely the most popular lip color of the night. Both Beth Behrs and Kimberly Schlapman went for a warm, glossy version of the hue while Miranda Lambert took us straight back the ’90s in a frosty rendition of the color.
8. Embellishments + Sheer: Taking Reese and Sophia’s trend one step further, these looks were all characterized by dramatically beaded or sequined embellishments with a little bit of see-through action. Both Kellie Pickler and Beth Behrs opted to dawn the style only on top while Jamie Lynn Spears spared no subtlety in a mermaid-tastic, black sequined number. (Photos via Jason Merrit/Getty)
9. Romantic Braids: From the runway to street style to the red carpet, it’s become pretty obvious that braids are a hairstyle that’s here to stay. Kacey Musgraves rocked a side fishtail with some added volume on top while Kelsea Ballerini sported a similar but slightly messier version of the look. Kellie Pickler put her own spin on the classic style by twisting it up into a tousled updo that we’re dying to DIY for our next fancy event. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
What was your favorite look from the 50th ACM Awards? Share with us in the comments below.
(Photos via Jason Merrit/Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.