Country may be one of the biggest music genres out there, but when it comes to country style, most people have a love-or-hate relationship. All the hatin’ is bumming us out, so we’re doing something about it. We firmly believe even born-and-bred city girls can rock cowgirl boots without country-fying their whole look. Read on for boots to buy + DIY, along with celeb styling tips and, before you know it, your cowgirl kicks will be as much a closet staple as those equestrian boots + ankle booties in your closet.
Boots to DIY
1. Rustic Turquoise Cowboy Boots: Southern girl Reese is always at home in cowgirl boots, but her style ethos is wide-reaching. She pairs rustic, distressed boots with a polished cardi-skirt combo. Channel Reese by distressing some boots of your own with paint, Mod Podge and RIT dye — similar boots retail for upwards of $300! (via Alida Makes, photo via Just Jared Jr)
2. Belted Boots: Ashley’s western boots take on an edgy urban glam via the studded belt trim. We’ll show you how to create your own with just belts, fabric and hot glue! (via Brit + Co, photo via Just Jared Jr)
3. Glitter Booties: Cheryl Cole pairs bold glittery boots with an oversized white sweater and cutoffs, which we’re thinking is the perfect outfit for transitioning into fall. Good thing glitter crafts are our fave, because these are super easy to make. (via Brit + Co, photo via Star Style)
4. Western Steel Toe Boots: You won’t catch SoCal girl Rachel Bilson at a Lady A concert. She rocks her cowgirl boots with a polished spin by opting for a glossy black pair and a structured blazer. We found a tutorial that ups the hard details of her look by creating faux steel toe boots out of spray paint. (via Swell Mayde, photo via Styleoholic)
5. Bohemian Boots: We couldn’t write a post on cowgirl boots without T.Swift — she has a closet full of them, at least somewhere in Nashville ;) We’re digging this flower child-inspired outfit from back in her country days. Lace and feather embellished boots + flower crown = bohemian bliss. Check out another tutorial by B+C contributor Mr. Kate! (via She Knows, photo via FanPop)
Boots to Buy
6. Free People Brooks Ankle Boots ($198): Hilary Duff makes conventional cowgirl boots look cozy with an infinity scarf and an oversized sweater. Score these Free People boots with distressed leather and gussets for a similar look. (photo via Sexton in the City)
7. Very Volatile ‘Chatter’ Bootie ($90): Miranda Kerr’s Isabel Marant boots are popular all over Hollywood. She makes her western boots haute couture with black nylons and a gorgeous coat. Go for a similar aesthetic with these suede booties with a speckled horsehair inset. (photo via Harper’s Bazaar)
8. Seychelles Lucky Penny Bootie ($137): Kelly Brook proves western-inspired ankle boots are dressed-down day wear, too. Score these Seychelles booties, and save yourself the years of cow-wrangling it would take to create an equally distressed look. (photo via DailyMail)
9. Ash ‘Lula’ Leather Bootie ($200): The Nashville star is no stranger to cowgirl boots. We’re all about incorporating Hayden’s muted palette into our fall outfit rotation. These “modern urban cowgirl” boots with a soft, clingy top and braided ‘do are just the ticket. (photo via Style Bistro)
10. Lucchese Odessa Boots ($448): Our own Brit rocked western boots in her Pixel Cowboy-themed wedding. They’re the perfect complement to her Monique Lhullier dress. Fun fact — these boots are even the same brand as those Brit wore for her wedding back in ’11! (photo via Brit + Co)
How do you rock your cowgirl boots? Tag us in your Insta selfie @BritAndCo!