Fall Foodie Classics: Apple Pie with a Cheddar Crust
Fall is finally here and we couldn’t be more excited. Time to break out the jackets and boots! One of my personal favorite things about fall is the variety of flavors, especially apple! Apples pair great with cheeses, especially tart Granny Smith apples and sharp cheddar. I whipped up this easy apple pie with a cheddar cheese crust. Be sure to pin this recipe and use it all season long!
– 3 cups sliced Granny Smith Apples (about 3 large apples)
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1/4 brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
For cheddar cheese crust:
– 1 package pie crust mix
– 1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
– flour for dusting
1. Begin by coring the apples. Next remove skin from apples and slice very thin, about 1/8th of an inch.
2. Toss apple slices with fresh lemon juice. Add black pepper. Stir and set aside.
3. Next mix pie crust according package and stir in grated cheese. Separate into two equal parts.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie crust until 1/4 inch thin. Place rolled out crust into 9 inch baking dish. Reserve second crust for top.
5. In a small pot, combine butter, sugars, one teaspoon lemon juice with 1/3 cup of water. Stir over medium low heat for about 10 minutes or until liquid reduces down and becomes slightly sticky. Be careful not to burn the sugar.
6. Pour liquid over apples and stir making sure everything is covered.
7. Place apples into pie dish. Cover with the second pie crust.
8. Using a knife cut slits into top of pie crust. This will let the steam escape. Crease the edges of the top and bottom pie crusts and cover edges of pie crust with foil.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove foil from edges and bake another 10 minutes for until crust is golden brown. Let pie sit for 4 hours or over night before slicing. Done!
Pro tip: Place pie dish on top of baking sheet, this will catch and liquid that bubbles out and save you from cleaning your oven.
As you can see, the ingredients for this are simple as… pie! Now it’s time to enjoy the pie! This can be served room temperature or slices can be reheated for a few seconds in the microwave. This is great vanilla bean ice cream or even an extra slice of cheddar!
What are your favorite pie flavors or fall food favorites?