15 Apple Pie Recipes That Are (Almost) Better Than Grandma’s
When you think of apple pie, you probably have an image in your head of your grandma kneading dough and sitting the finished pie on the windowsill to cool. Those memories are all well and good, but these days we’re more into creative apple recipes that aren’t so traditional. You’ve got all of the essential apple recipes down, so why not step outside the box and try something new? Maybe you’ll find out that you love making skillet pie or apple cinnamon galette. Either way, you should keep reading, because we’re giving you 15 recipes that’ll school Granny on how to make an *epic* apple pie.
1. Paleo Apple Pie Snickerdoodle Skillet Cookie: Chances are, Grandma didn’t have a lot of dietary restrictions to consider when baking her pies. In today’s world, we have to be more conscious of that, which makes this Paleo cookie and apple pie combo crucial. (via The Paleo Running Momma)
2. Open-Face Apple Pie: There’s no need for a double crust when you can create a beautiful apple rosette design with your filling. All you have to do is thinly slice the apples and layer them vertically, starting from the outside, and you’ve officially reached Martha Stewart status. (via Honestly YUM)
3. Salted Caramel Apple Pie: If you thought salted caramel was just a passing phase, we’re happy to report that it’s here to stay. Mix it with the apples inside your pie and then drizzle it all over the final product to serve. YUM! (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
4. Snickers Caramel Apple Pie: Whether you’re a cooking novice or a total expert, this pie needs to be on your weekend to-do list. Technically, there’s no cooking involved at all, so there’s no risk of burning anything… like your last baking experiment. (via I Heart Nap Time)
6. Apple Pie Bites: The only thing that could be better than apple pie is pie you can grab on your way out of the door. These bites have only six ingredients, and in less than 30 minutes you could be enjoying a piece of hand-held bliss. (via The Blond Cook)
7. Caramel Apple Slab Pie: We’ve all been there. You make a beautiful pie, only to have it ruined when you go to slice it in that awkward pie pan. Preserve your work of art by making a slab pie on a sheet pan. Clean up is a breeze and the pieces slice like a dream. Plus, you’ll be able to feed an army. (via The Recipe Critic)
9. Brown Butter Oatmeal Crumb Apple Pie: If you ever want to take a dish up a notch, just add browned butter. The nutty flavor is perfect to pair with apples and will leave everyone who eats your pie perplexed by its unique flavor. (via Baker by Nature)
10. Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars: One could argue that a shortbread crust is superior to pie dough. If you’re part of that opinion, these apple pie bars are right up your alley. Top with streusel and salted caramel and you may have something better than pie on your hands. (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
11. Easy Skillet Pie: 2016 has definitely been the year of the skillet. Cookies and pizza are bomb when cooked in a cast iron pan, so obviously you can’t go wrong doing the same with apple pie. (via So, How’s It Taste?)
13. Maple Apple Pie: Maple + apple = a match made in heaven; this we recognize. What you may not know is that roasting your apples before filling your pie results in an easier to slice and less wet product. Try it! (via Kitchen Heals Soul)
15. Salted Caramel Apple Galette: Think of a galette as the easier little sister to pie. There’s no crimping the edges on a pie plate, perfectly rolling out a circle of dough or *gasp* fiddling with a lattice top. (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
Follow us on Pinterest for more fun and delicious dessert recipes.