If you weren’t aware, I love pie. I love it so much, I even named my Facebook live series after it — Pies + DIYS! Today we’re merging pie with another favorite — tacos! These apple pie tacos are the perfect twist to your traditional apple pie. Use alphabet letters to cut out extra crust and personalize each taco for your dinner guests.
- six pie shells
- four apples
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup warm water
- alphabet cookie cutters
- Use a soup bowl to cut out small circles from the pie crust and then decorate with punny words or phrases.
- Place the circles on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and quick transfer them in-between the cracks on a greased upside-down cupcake tray. Place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Pour lemon juice on top of the apples and give it a quick stir.
- Add cinnamon, cornstarch, sugar, and water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add in apples, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Scoop apple filling into the taco shells and top with whipped cream.
Use a soup bowl to cut out smaller circles from the pre-made pie crust. Create cute phrases on the tops of the circles using small alphabet letters. Score the pie crust and use egg whites to help attach the letters.
Place the pie shells flat on a cookie sheet and bake for five minutes in a 350-degree oven.
Quickly remove and slide into the cracks of a greased upside-down cupcake tin. Place back in the oven for another five minutes.
Remove from tray once cooled.
Mix the sugar, cornstarch, water, and cinnamon in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
Toss the lemon juice onto the apples and then slowly add them into the cinnamon mixture.
Turn the stove to simmer, cover the apples, and let the apples cook for about 10 minutes.
Scoop out that ooey goodness into a pie shell and get ready to serve!
Taco Tuesday has a new friend — the apple pie taco for dessert, y’all!
Believe me: You’re not going to be able to eat just one. This is a two taco minimum per person for sure.
DIY Production and Styling: Kelly Bryden
Photography: Kurt Andre
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.