13 Apps All Recent Grads Should Have on Their Phone
For most grads, transitioning to life after college feels like a huge leap into the unknown. Not only are you leaving behind familiar things such as friends, professors and homework assignments, but you’re also beginning a new chapter. Although life after college will be a grand adventure, it will also be a little scary and overwhelming. Making new friends, landing a job in your industry, finding an apartment in a new city and learning how to cook healthy meals are just a few of the things you’ll have to conquer in the real world. To help you transition smoothly into the post-grad life, here are 13 must-have apps that will make adulting a whole lot easier.
1. Coffee: The hardest part of graduating from college is leaving behind familiar territory. Coffee connects you with other young professionals and hiring managers in your area, making it easier to network your way to a new job. You’ll have the opportunity to be matched with colleagues and mentors of similar interests, and discover job opportunities that fit your experience. Simply swipe through connections and jobs. Once a match is made, you’ll be prompted to set up a meeting over coffee in your city.
2. Treatings: When it comes to growing your career after college, it’s all about the people you meet. In fact, it’s a good idea to connect with people who can become a mentor in your career. Treatings is another networking app that helps you meet inspiring professionals in your area and build relationships with like-minded people.
3. Good.Co: If you’re feeling unsure about the path you’re supposed to follow after college, Good.Co can guide you through important career moves. Take fun personality quizzes to help you uncover your hidden interests, personality traits and skills. Good.Co makes it easy for you to discover what you’d like out of a career and the best work environment for your personality.
4. HVRGLX: While in most cases it’s okay to take a break at work to check your phone, it’s easy to fall into the trap of scrolling through Instagram for 15 minutes. Improve your self control and boost productivity by downloading HVRGLX. This nifty app is like an hourglass for your phone and eliminates distractions. All you have to do is set a timer for how long you’d like to focus. When the time is up, you’ll hear a sound or vibration from your phone.
5. Localeur: Moving to a new city after college can feel like relocating to a foreign country. As you settle into your new place, you’ll want to explore the city around you. Use Localeur as your guide to discover where the locals hang out, spend their weekends and go out for happy hour. After using this app, you won’t have to worry about picking a great restaurant or finding a cozy coffee shop.
DL It: Free for a limited time on iOS
6. Evernote’s Scannable: A lot of responsibilities will come your way after college. Not only will you have to worry about paying bills, but you’ll also have to keep track of important documents such as your car insurance policy, receipts and bank statements. Instead of worrying about finding a filing cabinet big enough for all your documents, use Evernote’s Scannable app to create digital copies of your important information and keep them secure in a single location.
7. RadPad: If you’ve secured a new job in a new city, it’s likely you won’t be moving back home with your parents. Typically the first thing you’ll do after landing a job is begin your apartment search. RadPad makes it easy for you to find apartments in your desired city and includes verified listings, lots of photos and the ability to chat with landlords.
8. Prism Bills: Rent, groceries, student loans and utilities are just a few of the many bills you’ll have to pay on your own after college. Prism makes it easy for you to keep track of your bills all in one place and make payments directly through the app.
9. Great Little Place: Don’t you love finding hole-in-the wall pizza joints that serve the most delicious ‘za you’ve ever had in your life? With Great Little Place, you’ll unlock the hidden gems of your city, from amazing diners and coffee shops to dueling piano bars and cultural events. Once you download this app, you’ll discover places that you never knew existed and hot spots that are too good to be kept a secret.
10. Qapital: Now that you’re done with college, you’re probably excited to start living the lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of. Whether it’s traveling the world, saving up for a super nice car or buying everything Kate Spade, you’ll need to learn how to manage your money in order to support your financial goals. Qapital makes it easy for you to save money for important things such as retirement while still having enough money for music festivals and new shoes.
11. Splitwise: Living with roommates after college? It might be a good idea to get everyone on the same page with bills and rent as soon as possible. With Splitwise, this app makes it simple for you to split bills with your roommates and make sure everything is paid on time. You no longer have to worry about putting a note on the fridge when the cable bill is due (and praying your roommates see it).
12. TrueCar: One of the first big purchases you’ll make in the real world is buying a new (or slightly used) car. Although buying a car can be a stressful process, TrueCar makes it easy and fun for you to find a new car within your budget. This app serves as your personal car shopping expert who will locate the best deals and provide upfront prices on the vehicles you’re interested in buying.
13. Washio: If you thought you didn’t have time to do laundry in college, just wait until you’re working 40+ hours a week, going to happy hours and brunching it up on the weekends. Life doesn’t slow down once you’re in the real world, so having a few hands to help you with the laundry and dry cleaning will come in handy. All you have to do is order a laundry pick-up time and Washio will take care of the rest. They’ll even return your laundry within 24 hours.
What apps have helped you transition into post-grad life? Let us know in the comments below!