Taking a shower can sometimes feel like a chore. You know the drill: You get home from work, get undressed and do your normal cleansing routine while in the tub. We think you totally deserve better than that, and it doesn’t take much effort to give yourself an upgrade. Pamper yourself by indulging in these 14 hacks for the ultimate shower experience.
1. Drink Water Beforehand: The mix of a hot shower and drinking warm water helps dilate your blood vessels, which lowers your blood pressure. Add some lemon and cucumbers for some extra benefits. (via Brit + Co)
2. Eucalyptus: For a soothing experience in the tub, hang a eucalyptus plant from your shower head. The steam will release beneficial oils from the plant to help de-stress and fight viral and bacterial infections. Plus, it looks pretty. (via Free People)
3. Shower Radio ($70): Listening to music is always a mood-lifter. Add this waterproof radio to your bathroom for some killer practice time for karaoke night.
4. Candle ($18): The ultimate way to relax is by candlelight. Create a soothing ambience by placing a few candles all over your bathroom and turning off the lights. Let some classical music play in the background, and you’ll instantly feel calmer.
5. Dry Brush ($23): Before you jump in, eliminate dead skin by using an all-natural brush. In circular, upward motions, brush all over your body to make your skin to feel baby soft. After you’ve brushed, rinse off all the dead skin in the tub.
6. Foot Scrub: It’s easy to forget your feet, but they need some loving too. Use a foot scrub to get rid of dead skin, and instead of using a washcloth to take off the scrub, just jump in the shower for an easy rinse. (via Blah Blah Magazine)
7. Cold Shower: End your shower with a cold rinse. Not only will it increase circulation and improve your mood, but it’s also good for your skin and hair. The cold water will close your hair follicles for less fizz and shinier tresses. It also closes the pores on your skin to keep dirt from getting in.
8. Remove Makeup: The easiest way to know that you’re getting a clean face is to remove your makeup before taking a shower. Use cleansing oil or makeup-removing wipes to do all the dirty work. We promise you won’t look like a raccoon when you look in the mirror.
9. Hand Towels: Loofahs are known to carry bacteria and dead skin long after you’ve showered. You should replace your loofah every two-to-three weeks to prevent the spread of bacteria. Alternately, skip the hassle by keeping a pile of hand towels in your bathroom. Just toss it in the hamper after you’re done, and you’re good to go! (via Tom Newton/Into The Gloss)
10. Moisturize: Try not to get rid of the excess water right when you get out. Instead, apply your moisturizer when your face is still wet. Hot water can easily dry up the skin, and by applying moisturizer right afterwards, you’re locking in hydration.
11. Pat With Towel ($13): Your skin is the largest organ on your body, and the one thing you don’t want to do is go Speedy Gonzales all over your body with a towel. Lightly pat dry your skin with a clean, soft towel to prevent dry skin.
12. Spa Robe ($80): Create a spa-like environment by investing in a soft robe. Trust us — tying a robe around your body is WAY better than wrapping up with a wet towel.
13. T-Shirt Dry: The best thing you can do for your hair is dry it with a cotton t-shirt or a micro-fiber towel. A regular towel can actually create more frizz if you rub it too hard. Opt for air drying afterwards too — the less heat, the better. (via Michelle Phan)
14. Lavender Lotion ($22): Apply lotion right after you get out of the shower to keep your skin moisturized. Try getting scents like lavender to help calm you down after a long day of work or activities. Not only does it smell incredible, but it’ll also help lower your heart rate and blood pressure.
Do you have any beauty/bathroom hacks for your own home? Share in our comments!