Dry, brittle hair no more! We’re answering your damaged hair SOS with these repair tips that are sure to fix dull color, frizz, brittle ends and breakage. Not only does the obvious over-treating and over-styling distress your locks, but overexposure to sunshine, wind and surf can also make them lose their luster and shine. But don’t worry: we’re not going to tell you to stay off the beach or cut the cord on the blow-dryer (although giving it a day off isn’t a bad idea). Instead, we have 12 pro tips on getting back your shine, from diet hacks that actually help your hair to healthy styling to spa-worthy upkeep.
Healthy Diet = Healthy Hair
It may not be the first thing that comes to mind when treating dry hair, but what you eat affects your mane. Eat your way to healthy, shiny hair with the following recipes:
2. Sunny Side Up Egg and Spinach Flatbread: Turn away from your makeup case and head to the supermarket for some dry hair repair eats. Get a double dose of luster with this flatbread combining eggs with spinach — a powerful (and tasty) way to make hair sparkle and shine! (via Whole Living)
3. Quinoa-Avocado Salmon Salad: “Lather, rinse, repeat” may be good advice, but here, we’re suggesting you step outta the bathroom and into the kitchen for luscious locks. Wild salmon may be hard to beat in the beauty department. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin B12 and iron, this fish nourishes your scalp and makes those locks shine. (via Plated)
4. Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup: Beans, beans they’re good for your… hair! Yep, that’s right, a daily does of beans or lentils promotes hair growth — bid adieu to brittle ends and slurp to your health with this restorative soup. (via 101 CookBooks)
5. Banana Walnut Bread: If you go nuts over shiny, healthy hair… start eating the real thing! Nuts contain important minerals that maintain a healthy scalp and prevent shedding. Try this banana walnut bread with a smearing of peanut butter for a double-dose of nutritious nuts for extra healthy hair. (via Messy Kitchen Stories)
Now that you’ve got the dish on eating right for your hair, use these tips to replenish and nourish dry, brittle locks.
6. Boar Bristle Brush ($49): This isn’t your ordinary brush, and here’s why: before there were styling products like conditioner, women used the boar-bristled brush as a conditioning treatment. The boar bristle carries sebum, which just so happens to be the same oil produced by the human scalp. Each time you brush with boar bristles, your hair is coated with a small amount of sebum, repairing dry hair and conditioning with shine.
7. Don’t Towel-Dry Your Hair: Repeat after me: Do not towel dry your hair! We all do it, we’re prone to stepping out of the shower and wrapping our hair into a towel-up ‘do to dry. Unfortunately the fibers in the towel cause hair to tangle and frizz. Instead, gently squeeze as much water from your hair before stepping out from the shower and softly set your style with a wide-tooth comb before drying naturally (or blow-dry with a heat protective product). (via Babble)
8. Shampoo Smartly: Stock your shower with products that have the words “anti-breakage,” “strengthening,” or “renewal” and avoid products with lots of chemicals or sulfates that strip your hair of its natural oils. Additionally, try washing less to let your natural oils shine. A dry shampoo will add some body and style while keeping those healthy oils sealed in. (via Lipstick and Luxury)
Restore + Pamper
Now that you’ve got some styling tips for added shine, get your DIY on with these all-natural dry hair remedies.
9. Banana and Almond Oil Hair Mask: Colored leaves and hot apple cider are a sign of fall, but so are dry air and brittle hair. Mix up this DIY concoction of banana and almond oil to soften hair, protect its elasticity and lock in moisture. Take that, dry air!
10. Avocado and Peppermint Hair Mask: When your mane is in need of added moisture and shine, skip the bottled conditioner and DIY this remedy of moisturizing avocado and cooling peppermint. These natural ingredients come together as a hydrating hair mask that not only acts as a raw conditioner, but encourages hair growth and stress relief too! (via Dirty Looks)
11. Coconut Oil Hair Mask: Coconut oil is a well known secret of women everywhere for healthy, happy hair. In case you haven’t tried it yet, give it a go — it naturally works for a dry and oily scalp and helps brittle hair regain its natural shine. (via Blue Eyed Finch)
12. Herb-Infused Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) removes gunky residue from product buildup and works as a natural detangler, so why aren’t you using this magic liquid on your hair? When used regularly, ACV smooths the hair cuticle, creating super shiny hair, and is a major pH boost for your scalp. Try this DIY rinse for a month and you won’t go back to bottled conditioner again! (via Hello Natural)
No bad hair days with these slick tips! Share your secret to combat dull, dry locks in the comments below.