Forget the Blow Dryer! 10 Tips for Air-Drying Your Hair
If you’re in desperate need of a little hair R&R, then it might be time to take a break from the blow dryer. We’ve got 10 tips for air drying your hair like a pro, whether you’re getting ready to go out or preparing to wake up with a smooth and shiny ‘do. Be prepared to stock up on the hair products, though, since Mother Nature doesn’t always bless us with hair that lays perfectly on its own. Soon enough, you’ll be ditching that hair dryer and ironing tools for a healthy, happy head of hair.
1. Prep Your Hair for Bed: If you go to bed with a wet head, your vulnerable strands can break and the hair cuticle can be damaged by rubbing against your pillow case. Take care to prep your hair before hitting the hay by wrapping a silk scarf around your freshly cleaned locks, and come morning you’ll wake up with smooth, shiny hair. (via Refinery29)
2. Use a Product: Anyone looking to air dry their hair successfully is going to need quite a few products. To start, find a product that suits your hair type, whether you need to smooth frizz or bring out the bounce in your curls. Might we recommend this Texas Tea Volumizing Spray ($25)? It’ll work well on lots of hair types. (via Fox News Magazine)
3. Braid Your Hair: Add natural texture by letting your hair air dry in a braid. Try a loose braid for flowing waves or a tighter braid for a more defined crimp throughout your hair. (via Daily Makeover)
4. Use the Right Conditioner: Perfectly supple air-dried hair starts in the shower with a good, thick, creamy conditioner. Find one that tackles your particular hair issues, then let it do its magic while you scrub-a-dub. Try this Bumble and bumble ($27) one for super moisturized hair. (via Birdie)
5. Don’t Touch Your Hair: As tempting as hair twirling can be, you’ve got to keep your paws off of it. The oils from your hands will weigh down the follicles, undoing the voluminous masterpiece you waited so long for. (via Birchbox)
6. Turban With a T-Shirt: The towel turban can be a hard habit to break, but drying your hair this way isn’t good for keeping your locks strong and healthy. However, if you swap the towel for a simple t-shirt, you can turban your hair as often as you want. The smooth cotton is gentler on your hair, resulting in less frizz and breakage. (via Michelle Phan)
7. Apply a Hair Serum: Applying a hair serum like this Josie Maran Argan Oil ($48) weightlessly moisturizes your hair, so you won’t end up with a dry, brittle mess once it dries. And when you’re letting your hair do its own thing without heat styling, applying a little serum will help steer it in the right direction. (via Refinery 29)
8. Use Detangler: Do you have long, flowing hair generally prone to knots? Protect your strands (and your poor scalp) by investing in a little detangler. It’ll keep you from dreading the comb and it’ll protect your hair from breakage, which can keep your air-dried ‘do from looking polished. This No-Comb Detangling Spray ($20) from DevaCurl is our top pick. (via Birchbox)
9. Tie a Top Knot: If you’re anti-braid, you can also tie your hair into a top knot for a beachy flow. You’ll get waves that are more random and free spirited than the waves you’ll get from braids, plus it’s perfect if you’re in a time crunch. (via Goldfish Kiss)
10. Finish With Dry Shampoo: We know what you’re thinking. “Dry shampoo? But I just shampooed the regular way!” We’ve got a little-known secret for you. Dry shampoo — like this Fox & Doll ($5+) stuff from our shop — is the trick to getting epic volume and pumping some life into your locks. (via Birdie)
Do you have any air-drying tips that we missed? Let us know in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)