The 11 Apps All Book Lovers Need
From Melville to Rowling to Kaling — you’ve read it all. Your home is filled with book-inspired decor, your wedding was totally book lover-approved and you find yourself daydreaming of the perfect indie bookstore roadtrip. If this sounds like you, odds are you are proud to call yourself a book nerd. It’s not always easy being bookish in an on-the-go world (how many times have you spilled coffee on your current read because of a transit catastrophe?) but you make it look flawless nonetheless. For anyone who’s bold, bookish and busy, here are 11 apps to make reading in the 21st century a little easier.
1. Companion: Reading while walking is a hazard. Fortunately for the friends and family of a book-walking enthusiast, this new app allows you to periodically check in with your book walker to make sure that he or she is safe while walking home. Just set your route and select your emergency contacts and the app will check in with you throughout your walk home and contact your emergency contacts if you don’t respond.
2. Slice: Get a handle on your late-night book ordering purchases with this automatically syncing package tracking app. Just connect your email and Slice will identify tracking numbers and product orders. They’ll even notify you of a price drop so you can return your order and get it for a lower price.
3. Goodreads: After this popular reading hub went mobile in late 2013, readers all over the world have been connecting with each other on the go. With so many features packed into one app (you can write book reviews, browse for new reads with personalized suggestions, track all the books you’ve read this year and add new books to your to-read list with their barcode scanner), it’s a modern-day book lover’s lifeline.
4. Blinkist: How many times have you gotten on a 15-minute bus ride just to arrive at your stop in the middle of the best part? With more than 1,000 non-fiction book summaries to peruse in 15 minutes or less, this app is a must-download for transit and will always give you something to talk about with your coworkers.
5. Bookling: Is your New Year’s Resolution to read more? Although this is a paid app, the dollar price tag is totally worth it. Set up yearly reading goals and track your progress using their built-in tracking functions like bookmarking and reading speed measuring tools. Turn on your notifications for periodic reminders to reach your 2016 reading goal.
DL it: $0.99 on iOS
6. Wattpad: This popular reading app has been named a Top 5 Book App for three years running. Search thousands of free stories and books from published authors and connect with other readers through the commenting and private message function. Feel like writing the next Great American Novel? Jot it down and share it with the Wattpad community for free!
7. Audiobooks from Audible: True book nerds aren’t dissuaded by places where reading a physical book is impractical. With Audiobooks from Audible, you have access to over 180,000 titles in the palm of your hand, from bestsellers to classics. In their most recent update, Audible added a cool new feature, Whispersync for Voice, where you can switch between reading and listening to an audiobook easily with a compatible Kindle device or app.
8. Scribd: There are tons of sources for audiobooks and ebooks. What makes this subscription reading service different is that it offers comic books and sheet music downloads too. With reading material in 80 languages and across nearly every country, you’re sure to find your next great reading romance here.
10. Oxford Dictionaries Quick Search: Every true book lover knows that a good dictionary is a must. Find everything you’d ever want to know about a word on this free app. You can even switch between British English and American English with a simple swipe.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.