11 Tips for Organizing Fall Clothes When You’re Short on Closet Space
As the seasons change from summer to fall, your closet space gets a little tighter with those chunkier essentials like coats, sweaters, and scarves. If your current storage sitch really crushes the dreams of maintaining the cozy layering wardrobe you love, it doesn’t have to be that way! Make the most of your space (and make room for all the September Issue-inspired styles you’ll be shopping) with the 11 tips below. They’ll help you organize your way to all the room you need.
1. Create a copper coat rack. Coats are the biggest space hog of all. Dedicate a spot just for them with a DIY that’s a major upgrade from the traditional garment rack. Bonus: It’s secured to the ceiling so it won’t take up even an inch of precious floor space. (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Maximize your corners. When closet overflow is unavoidable, position a cute coat rack in the corner for draping jackets and other accessories. (via Emily Henderson)
3. Stack denim on shelves. Make sure your much-loved fall staple is in a place that’s easy to access. Shelves keep pants in sight for the season so they’re always right there when you need them (AKA All. The. Time.). (via My Domaine)
4. Curate your own sweater storage. These adorable DIY boxes fit snugly in your built-ins and keep knits out of view so they don’t look like a big ol’ mess. The fabric can be tailored to whatever pattern works best with the rest of your decor. (via I Heart Organizing)
5. Put purses on display. Placing purses in different styles, colors, and materials on shelves keeps accessories in check and doubles as an incredibly cool-looking showcase. (via Haute off the Rack)
6. Go with the garment rack. Another cool statement? A chic rack with all of your favorite fall designer pieces. Sure, it’s technically just storage, but with purchases that look this great, no one will second guess it.
7. Hang your hats. Fashion hats are officially a thing. Unfortunately, they don’t store easily. With the help of some laundry clips and string, create an arrangement that looks cute on the wall — and is totally functional too. (via Stiletto Beats)
8. Accessorize your drawers. Rather than trying to shove accessories like hats and scarves in random open spots around your room, tuck them away in designated dresser drawers. This way you won’t have to tear apart your entire closet to track them down. (via We Fashion Trends)
9. Organize the entryway. Shed your layers the second you walk through the door. With the help of this entryway DIY, accessories won’t even have to worry about making their way to your closet. (via Polished Habitat)
10. Ladder your layers. You’ve probably seen the blanket ladder tutorials everywhere by now. But here’s a much more relevant approach for the impressive scarf stash you’ve accumulated through the seasons. (via Almost Stylish)
11. Make way for boots. Instead of throwing those clunky shoes and boots in an unruly pile, consider crate storage for an easy and affordable way to arrange them. The best part? This craft can be completely customized to your current selection. (via C.R.A.F.T.)
Are you looking for more organization tips to get ready for the new season? Follow us on Pinterest for additional storage inspo!