5 Up-and-Coming Online Shops You Need to Know
We are all more or less a little addicted to online shopping. From Anthro to Zara, we’re regularly scouring the Internet for great deals and hunting for our new favorite online shop. Whether you’re looking to discover new designers, unique pieces for a night out or simply want to refresh your closet for spring, you and your credit card should shop these five retailers asap.
1. Emerging Thoughts: Emerging Thoughts got a ton of buzz going with their fun nail decals by Sara M. Lyons, so it’s no surprise that the rest of the shop is full of quirky goods and up-and-coming designers. Think of it as your one-stop shop for both a cute dress and a gift that will make your BFF smile. You totally need these Drake balloons for your next party.
2. Bear Cat Vintage: For the girl who dreams of living in another decade, Bear Cat Vintage boasts an artfully curated collection of vintage and modern pieces at reasonable prices. They carry a wide array of bright colors and ’60s-style floral patterns perfect for transitioning into spring. Flip through their lookbooks for some serious style inspiration!
3. Myrtle: Myrtle’s online shop is home to a selection of pieces by independent designers and high-end vintage goods. They keep you up to date on their newest in-store and online arrivals through their Instagram, so if you’re not able to visit their adorable Los Angeles brick and mortar, you’ll still be able to get a hold of the items you covet.
4. Hello Holiday: Everyone has that one friend — the smart, funny, cool girl whose closet you wish you could raid on a daily basis. Hello Holiday is that friend. The online retailer is stocked with clothes from independent designers all over the world. The store’s founders, Meg and Sarah, are the kind of girls you wish you could be best friends with, and considering they send a handwritten note with each individual order, it kind of feels like they already are.
5. Vestiaire Collective: For the girl who wants to look effortlessly Parisian chic, this one is for you. Vestiaire Collective is an online fashion resale marketplace that acts as an agent between buyers and sellers, ensuring all listed items are authentic designer pieces. Originally from Paris, the site already boasts over three million users across Europe, along with a few fashion-forward US members since their stateside launch at the beginning of this year.
What are some of your favorite lesser-known online retailers? Tell us in the comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.