The 5 Best Places to Travel in March
Finding the best places to go for spring travel can be tough, especially when there are so many options! Whether you’ve got a spring break on the schedule or some PTO to burn through, we’ve got a variety of places that offer experiences and opportunities found only in the month of March. From seeing sea turtles hatch in their natural state to attending a festival filled with *all* the colors, these five destinations are the only places you’ll want to be next month. Scroll down to see them all.
1. Hangzhou, China: If you’re looking to get out of the country and see some #views, Hangzhou is situated an hour’s train ride from Shanghai and should be top of your list. Its southwest portion, called “West Lake,” has been deemed by some as “paradise on Earth.” Here, you’ll find lots of natural parks, lakes, and, mountains, and in the months of March and April specifically, the city’s famous cherry blossoms are in full bloom. Consider it the perfect time to soak in their glory while you sip tea, savor fine silk, and take in the rich history of this gem of a destination.
2. The Galápagos Islands, Ecuador: If you’ve got adventure on your mind, head to the Galápagos, where you’ll find all the wildlife and one-of-a-kind experiences in one place. These isolate volcanic islands boast white sand beaches, true blue waters, and unique landscapes that inspired the father of evolution (re: Darwin) himself. In March, visitors are offered a rare chance to see sea turtle hatchlings take place on land. If adorable little tortoises crawling through the sand don’t spark your fancy, stick around for the flyby from the island’s famed albatrosses that happens this month only. Be sure to have that camera handy!
3. Washington, DC: This month is the best time to visit our nation’s capital. The city’s three week National Cherry Blossom Festival is a gorgeous (and more local than #1) option that allows visitors to enjoy monuments amongst a sea of pink and white. Spring weather starts making an appearance, and it’s the perfect time to hop on a bike and get the full tour of the city. DC also offers many attractions like the National Archives, Botanical Garden, and Library of Congress all free of charge. So whether you’re planning on attending the festival or taking a tour of the area, it’s a win-win both ways.
4. Mumbai, India: Mumbai offers a lively culinary, shopping, and nightlife scene that needs to be experienced to be believed. From wandering through colorful bazaars filled with all sorts of goodies to getting a taste of “the nation’s best nightlife,” you’re bound to walk away with a new appreciation for this faraway place. For the month of March, you can also take part in the most vibrant celebration called the “Festival of Colors,” or Holi. Here, people spend the day coating themselves in powdered colors, dancing, and having parties in commemoration of the victory of good over evil. If there ever was a time to truly soak in a new experience, this is it!
5. Fort Myers, Florida: Sports fans — we’ve got you covered. For the month of March, head to southwest Florida to see fan-favorite teams like the Minnesota Twins and Boston Red Sox as they prep for their season ahead. The area offers two ballparks that each host a series of games and meet-and-greets until March 25. But if ballgames aren’t your thing, no worries: The Fort Myers River District is a fun place to shop, eat, and spend time soaking in some (much-needed) vitamin D.
Which March spot are you ready to book? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)