10 Innovative Bike Gadgets
What’s the best way to get around this summer? Hint: It’s not a shamu-shaped submarine. Whether you love to ride your bike on the weekends at the beach or in the mountains, or commute on a daily basis, we’re all about serving up new an innovative ways to rock your ride. We’ve already shown you plenty of ways to decorate your bike, but what about making you a safer more efficient rider? Here are our 10 favorite innovations in cycling gear.
1. Helios Bars ($219): Ride safer with these handlebars that have a built-in LED headlight, blinkers, and can track your speed via the GPS on your smartphone.
2. Bike Repair App ($4): Like having a repair shop in your pocket, this app advises you on fixing everything from a flat tire to a crooked disk brake.
3. Siva Cycle Atom ($99): Use the motion of your bike to charge your smartphone while you ride. No more running down your battery on a long ride.
4. Reflective Gloves and Socks ($23): Decidedly low-tech, but just as effective, the reflectors on these gloves and socks shine brightly, and the arrows on the gloves can act as turn signals.
5. Strava Cycling App (Free): Track everything about every ride in this app. Save your favorite routes, your performance metrics, and challenge friends.
6. The Interlock ($39): Don’t worry about what to do with your bike lock while riding. This smart and secure cable coils up inside the frame of your bike when it’s not in use.
7. Plume Recoiling Mudguard ($35): Replace your bike’s standard mudguard with this one that rolls up like a snap bracelet when it’s not in use.
8. Wahoo Bike Pack ($130): Turn your iPhone into a fully fledged bike computer with this kit. It enables any ANT+ device (like your GPS or heart-rate monitor) to display on your iPhone.
9. Torch Helmet (concept): Soon to be available for pre-order, this helmet has a front and back light built right in. No more fiddling with lights that have to clamp, clip, or tie on.
10. Invisible Helmet ($515): Who could forget the video of the invisible helmet that inflates upon impact like an airbag. It’s no longer just a concept, you can now buy one.
What bike gadgets do you use on a daily basis? Any apps we should add to this list? Talk to us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)