13 Classy Ways to Pull Off Boho Style at Work
Pulling together an outfit that complies with dress code and honors your personal style is a never-ending battle. But boring, stuffy and strict your workweek wardrobe need not be — with a bit of know-how and clever styling, almost any item in your closet can be transformed into a killer on-the-job ensemble. You’ve already mastered the art of wearing the athleisure trend to work, so why not give your nine-to-five a taste of your free-spirited side too? While all-out festival style is best saved for the main stage, there are plenty of HR-approved ways to show off your free-wheelin’ side. Floral skirts, skinny scarfs, all suede everything and frilly, feminine tops can easily be styled with more traditional pieces to create elegant outfits that are ready for business. These 13 accessories and separates bring the boho vibes you love, but won’t draw side glances from the boss.
1. Stella & Dot Totem Tassel Chandelier Earrings ($59): Details, details, details. Even if your dress code leaves little room for interpretation, these four-in-one earrings (hello, versatility) will instantly inject major personality into stuffy suits and streamlined separates.
2. Free People Novella Royale Iris Printed Crop Flare ($148): Tailored trousers are a workweek staple, but when your everyday uniform starts to feel meh, these printed flares will switch things up stat. Unexpected and on trend, they’ve got that whole office-appropriate thing on lock when styled alongside a frilly-neck blouse and block-heeled loafers or a minimalist roll neck tunic.
3. Waverly Grey Gemma Fringe Vest ($168): Say buh-bye to boring blazers, because this fabulous fringe vest is ready to take your on-the-job wardrobe by storm. Perfect for layering over silk tees and structured culottes, it’ll make warm-weather dressing (office edition) an effortless exercise. Cold temps still a thing? Pop it on top of a cashmere turtleneck for a chic look in seconds.
4. Street Level Faux Leather Tote ($56): Because your fave festival-ready sac isn’t exactly office material, stash all of your workweek essentials — laptop, documents, snacks (!) — in this sophisticated tote instead. The dramatic fringe speaks to your free-wheelin’ side, but will more than live up to your #girlboss expectations.
5. Zara Long Printed Skirt ($70): Feminine florals and a flowy silhouette capture the carefree feel of lazy summer days we just can’t get enough of. Midi and maxi styles are ideal for the office, especially when teamed with lace-up booties, architectural tops and minimalist jewelry.
6. Mango Suede Jacket ($270): If your cubicle renders you an ice cube on the daily, a stylin’ outer layer is non-negotiable — cardigans excluded. This suede number packs a major punch and will help make the chills a thing of the past. Whether you rock it over printed wide-leg trousers or a ribbed midi dress and Oxfords, it won’t disappoint.
7. Kelsi Dagger London Sandals ($160): Brilliant color, supple suede and an on-trend slingback silhouette: These lace-up sandals are a triple threat. Swap ’em in for basic pumps and watch as the compliments roll in.
8. ASOS Premium Embroidered Sleeve Tassel Tie Dress ($119): Classic shifts and fit-and-flare frocks don’t have anything on this free-flowing embroidered dress. The elongated style and statement sleeves combine forces for a look that balances on-the-job elegance and eclectic-chic aesthetics, and your nine-to-five will never be the same. To tone down the boho vibes, style it up with an obi belt, shimmery drop earrings and polished steppers.
9. Free People Wave of Innocence Printed Top ($128): Take your workweek wardrobe out West with a prairie floral top with flirty, feminine appeal. A ruffled neckline feels so right-now, while statement embroidery adds an extra layer of country charm and drama. Tuck it into leather pants and flatform kicks for a girl-next-door-gone-bad edge.
10. Topshop Mini Floral Skinny Scarf ($22): When you’re not feeling the bling, this ditsy floral scarf is the adornment you need. Languidly draped around the neck, it imparts a French bohemian vibe to collared shirts and LBDs alike. Fiery red lipstick is strongly encouraged.
11. Cloth & Stone Lace-Up Henley ($98): Collared shirts aren’t the only way to keep your cool when you’re on the clock. This lace-up henley has undeniable throwback flair that pairs perfectly with suede culottes and A-line skirts. The only thing missing? Casually cool clogs and a blue lapis cuff (trust us on this one).
12. Boohoo Embroidered Pocket A Line Skirt ($32): Casual Friday isn’t just for jeans. Switch up your dressy-casual duds by throwing this folksy skirt into the mix. Bow-neck tops, ribbed sweaters and amped-up court shoes are highly encouraged.
13. Nasty Gal Petal Down Embroidered Chambray Shirt ($148): The easiest way to get your denim fix before the weekend rolls around? This flowery chambray top. The folk-art appeal of the botanical embroidery will put your basic white button-down to shame, adding personality and no-frills polish to silk joggers and high-waisted skirts.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)