Hygge (pronounced “hue-gah”) has been making headlines this winter, and for obvious reasons. This Danish word basically validates our reason for staying in and cozying up with a book and a hundred blankets, so we are ON BOARD. What is hygge, you ask? It’s how you feel when you take pleasure in simple, everyday things, and we have the easiest way to start your hygge lifestyle: DIY potpourri! Trust us — it will make your home smell so good, you wouldn’t be able to leave the house even if you tried.
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 sliced blood orange (regular orange works too)
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 sliced apple
- 4-7 cinnamon sticks (broken in half)
- 1 Tablespoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (or drop in some whole ones like we did above)
- handful rosemary sprigs
- 2 vanilla beans
- edible flowers (optional and purely to make this more beautiful)
- 2.5-3 quarts water
- large pot that holds up to 3 quarts water
Get ready for the simplest and easiest instructions: Combine all ingredients in your large pot and simmer over low heat for as long as desired. Add more water if it gets low.
If that got you in the mood, here are 18 more ways to bring hygge into your home!
Show us your stovetop potpourri by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
Author: Anita Yung
DIY Production and Styling: Anita Yung
Photography: Kurt Andre