Going Camping? 27 Innovations in Camp Gear
No matter if you’re a real life wilderness girl or you’re heading on your first camping expedition and plan on camping inches from your car (incase of yeti attacks), you’re going to need some gear. For everyone from the badge-covered Girl Scout to the serious glamper, we have camping essentials (and non-essentials that are just plain awesome) that will get you itching to hop in your car and go on an adventure.
1. REI Half Dome 2 Plus Tent ($219): Alright, let’s start off with the basics — a highly efficient, totally spacious two person tent for a weekend getaway in the woods.
2. JakPak ($249): Short jacket? Long jacket? Sleeping bag? The JakPak knows no bounds of functionality. It might be the gear you need for camping and hiking.
3. Sexy Hotness Sleeping Bag ($170): The sexy hotness sleeping bag was designed to keep you warm every month of the year. Just kidding, it was designed for… well… how do we put this? It was designed so you and your partner could get hot and heavy underneath the stars.
4. Two-Person Sleeping Sack ($170): Or get a little romantic without the awkwardness in this two person sleeping bag.
5. PakMat Airbed ($115): Quick and easy — that’s how we like things to function when it comes to our blow-up mattresses. ‘Cause at the end of a long day of hiking, ain’t nobody got energy for huffing and puffing.
6. ENO Double Nest Hammock ($70): Relaxing weekend in the Redwoods, anyone? This travel hammock has you covered… literally. You can wrap yourself in it!
7. Flint Rucksack ($275): Rustic yet hip, this rucksack just screams wilderness chic (it’s a thing). We envision it packed with dehydrated fruit and dry shampoo.
8. Bootlegger Modular Pack System ($200): Like your bags a little more high tech? These modular (and breathable) back panels let you swap from pack to pack with ease, depending on what activity you’re tackling. Who says you can’t have a wardrobe change out in the wild?
9. Little America Backpack ($90): All right, this might be more of a fashion backpack then a functional backpack. This is for the car campers of the world. It’s time to ditch the wheelie suitcase.
10. Glamping With Mary Jane ($9): Buy this book before you go. Learn about the modern-day luxury that, according to Mary Jane, is involved in glamping. We think necessities include a large supply of red wine, wide-brimmed hats and skin-protecting tanning oil ;)
11. Glacier Stainless Nesting Wine Glass ($14): Though glamping lets you enjoy the wilderness in a less rugged way, you still wouldn’t want to bring your best crystal out with you. So snag some stainless steel glasses that will survive the campfire.
12. Govino Shatterproof Wine Glasses ($13): These stemless (PLASTIC! HUZZAH!) wine glasses are foolproof. And we’re fairly certain they’ll fit right into the cup holder of your camping chair.
13. Wine Travel Carrier and Cooler Bag ($20): But how do you get the wine there and keep it cold?! This wine travel carrier holds two bottles, comes with a bottle opener and is simple (enough) to carry.
14. BioLite CampStove System ($224): This nifty all-in-one stove lets you grill, boil, cook and charge your phone all at once. No need to leave the electronics or your beef bourguignon recipe at home.
15. Jetboil Sumo Cooking System with Bowl Set ($145): Whether you need to melt snow or simmer water for pasta, this stove does it all. And, the bowls are both measuring cups and the perfect single serving size for coffee, soup or oatmeal. Genius.
16. MSR Flex 4 System ($160): This cookware system is great when you’re entertaining all your closest friends in your campsite. It literally has everything you need in one compact place, making it perfect for conserving precious space without skimping on the quality of the meal.
17. Rome’s Square Pie Iron ($20): While not necessarily an essential, this pie iron fits right into the fire to make perfect grilled cheeses, pies or really anything you’re interested in eating hot and gooey. Yeah, okay, we changed our mind. It IS an essential.
18. Snow Peak Titanium Cafe Press ($56): You wouldn’t dream of drinking instant coffee IRL, so why would you settle when camping? You can easily make your coffee from your very own portable French press. Really, there is no reason not to have fresh, hot coffee while having an outdoor adventure.
19. Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink ($20): You need a way to wash all your nifty kitchen supplies, and this easily stored portable sink provides all your water needs.
20. Table in a Bag ($49): Just in case your campsite doesn’t have a picnic table, this roll out table is here for you.
21. Mantis Chair ($120): With this lightweight chair, you can park yourself anywhere — halfway in the water or just outside of your tent while you watch the early morning rays and enjoy a warm cup of coffee.
22. MYFC PowerTrekk ($110): You’re going to want to hear this: This device charges your phone for you… without electricity! It just uses water and a little salt. The powers of invention never cease to amaze us.
23. Petzl Tikkina Headlamp ($20): Sexy is redefined when you have this bright, bold light clamped on your head.
24. Orion Star Target ($14): Snuggle up to your honey and check out the gorgeous night sky while you star gaze and match constellations. Seriously, how often do you get away from all those city lights?
25. Hot Jugz, Portable Outdoor Shower ($50): In this case, hot jugs means a warm container of water. And when you’re salty after an ocean swim or filthy after a week of backpacking, a warm container of water has never sounded so satisfying.
26. Coleman Zephyr LED Tent Light and Fan ($22): While not the most glamorous of camping items, this light and fan is a must have for any seasoned summer camper who finds themselves in need of a light while simultaneously sweating.
27. LED Fairy Lights ($15): Class up the joint a bit with some twinkle LED lights. You’ll be the hit of the campground.
Anything we’re forgetting that has just changed your camping life? Let us know in the comments section!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.