8 Celeb-Approved Wedding Guest Outfit Ideas to Try RN
Forget the bride — finding the perfect getup to rock at the slew of “I dos” dominating your social calendar this season can be just as difficult as hunting down the ultimate wedding dress to suit your style (you know, your own personal version of finding “the one”). The list of wedding fashion dos and don’ts is just as long as that to-do list waiting for you come Monday morning, which isn’t exactly a prospect that has you shivering with excitement. But before you enter into a state of sartorial paralysis (it happens to the best of us), take a step back and just breathe. Pre-wedding jitters (again, for the wedding guest, duh — the struggle is real) are a non-factor when you have this foolproof list on standby. We looked to the red carpet, or rather, your fave celebs’ Instagrams, for a bit of style enlightenment. Consider your what-to-wear-to-a-wedding questions officially answered. Keep reading for eight star-approved outfits to rock all wedding season long (and beyond).
Yep, she did it again. T Swift, do you ever get it wrong? This strapless A-line number she rocked at a recent wedding (where she surprised the bride and groom, no less) is straight-up wedding guest #goals.
1. Trina Turk Women’s Audrey Fiori Jacquard Strapless Dress ($388): When in doubt, look to flowery A-line frocks for an effortless outfit that nails it every time. Between the timeless appeal and fun flair, you really can’t go wrong. Pair this vibrant asymmetric number with an elegant updo, sleek choker necklace and embellished block heels for the perfect balance of feminine elegance and RN edge.
Solange’s Metallic Trousers
Who says you have to stick to sleek shift dresses and ethereal maxi styles? Straight-up stun when you step into the venue (without stealing the bride’s thunder, of course) by taking a note out of Solange’s style book (girl knows what’s up). We’re swooning hard over this daring blazer and glitzy trouser combo that’s dressy enough to wear to a formal affair without donning an over-the-top gown.
2. Alice & Olivia Arthur Sequin Pant ($495): Going to the chapel and we’re gonna get… sequin pants. These shimmery trousers read life of the party, so what better time to bust them out than your girl’s unforgettable fête? Team them with a tailored blazer, slinky silk cami and metallic heels for a show-stopping look that’s a shoo-in for best-dressed guest.
Poppy Delevingne’s Flowy Floral Maxi Dress
As if knocking her own wedding day look out of the park wasn’t enough, Poppy Delevingne knows a thing or two about pulling together an enviable wedding guest ensemble. Exhibit A: this airy bohemian gown with endless free-wheelin’ flair.
3. Reformation Laura Dress ($278): Between the OMG-worthy neckline and ultra-feminine silhouette, there’s a whole lot to love about this throw-on-and-go dress. The innate ease is so essential when you have more than one wedding on your summer to-do list, not to mention that it speaks to your lazy girl style sensibilities. Dress it up with dazzling drop earrings and strappy heels for a swanky soiree at a historic estate, or dress it down for a backyard bash with lace-up sandals and romantic beach babe waves.
Emma Watson’s Sophisticated Slit Maxi Dress
View this post on Instagram
Day 2 kicked off with this @wes_gordon dress! Love the print which was created in collaboration with London based artist and then produced in New York and Italy! @alexanderwhiteltd are crafted by hand by artisans in Italy. Alex does not use fur and refuses to use chemical agents that could harm the environment! @Wwake jewelry uses recycled gold whenever possible, and all diamonds are either destruction-free antiques OR conflict-free stones. WWAKE has developed an in-house studio practice with proper ventilation systems to protect employees health! Beauty by the darlings @charlottehayward and @visapyyapy ! @emmawatson
A post shared by Sarah Slutsky (@sarahslutsky) on
A little bit ’90s and a whole lot of whoa, this sassy and sweet maxi dress donned by actress and UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson is a win all around (especially when chokers and berry lipstick are involved).
4. Keepsake Billboard Dress ($200): Pulling together a flawless wedding guest getup is as easy as throwing on this flowery stunner. The ultra-modern silhouette lives up to your haute standards, while the high neckline and peek-a-boo slit add a trend-right touch to the style equation. For a garden reception or a classic seaside venue, soften the sharp lines and streamlined aesthetic with loose, romantic curls, natural-looking makeup and delicate jewelry.
Kate Bosworth’s Tuxedo Jumpsuit
View this post on Instagram
And we're out! Thanks @Enews ... Segment airs all weekend! 😎 #90MinutesInHeaven (@vanessabrunoparis vest, @rag_bone pants & my fave @giuseppezanottiworld kitten heels 🐯) Best Gals! @bridgetbragerhair @missjobaker @kriskriskris @jensulkess
A post shared by Kate Bosworth (@katebosworth) on
Your favorite one-and-done pieces aren’t just destined for laid-back off-duty activities like backyard barbecues or leisurely picnics in the park. Do like Kate Bosworth — a style icon in her own right — and test drive an elegant jumpsuit or two-piece number for your next dressed-up event, for a classy look that will set you apart from the rest.
5. ASOS Tall Sleeveless Tuxedo Wrap Jumpsuit ($73): LBDs don’t have anything on this tailored scene-stealer. With It-girl appeal and timeless elegance all rolled into one, it’s guaranteed to become your new signature style move, whether you’re attending rooftop nuptials or a ballroom blowout. Don’t hesitate to pair it with a delicate lariat, embellished clutch and classic ankle strap heels for an effortless ensemble that delivers every single time.
Rihanna’s Lilac Bridesmaid Dress
Okay, so maybe you’re not a member of the wedding party, but Rihanna’s pale purple gown is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to dressing for your bestie’s nuptials. The pastel hue is soft, romantic and perfect for waterfront ceremonies and twilight dinners overlooking breathtaking vistas.
6. Nasty Gal Rope Fiend Maxi Dress ($98): Hello, gorgeous. This airy lilac number is downright swoon-inducing and a must for your summer wedding lineup. Ladylike and lovely with non-stop sass woven right in (just check out that back), it can be dressed to the nines with glistening drop earrings and shimmery heels, or dressed down with strappy sandals and tassel-tastic drops for a casual celebration on the beach.
Lena Dunham’s Vintage Frock
View this post on Instagram
My grandma gave me her vintage Dior to wear to junior prom (this is me in 2003, being posed by my mom before my date came.) I call it the Sisterhood of the Traveling Dress because she was so tiny yet somehow this fits everyone.
A post shared by Lena Dunham (@lenadunham) on
Proof that on-point style transcends trends and time, this vintage floral number that Lena Dunham rocked back in 2003 at her senior prom (girl did her own thang even back then) exudes old-world charm and class.
7. Trollied Dolly Super Swingy 70’S Floral Dress ($94): Okay, so it’s not vintage Dior, but this ’70s-inspired dress is a definite DO for laid-back garden party ceremonies or pre-wedding festivities. Pair with tights and a suede jacket once temperatures drop to make the most of this versatile getup.
Ciara’s Wild Maxi Dress
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Ciara (@ciara) on
Leopard print is a neutral as far as we’re concerned, and we think it’s safe to say that Ciara agrees. The singer showed up to a friend’s wedding rockin’ this exotic ensemble with beautifully coiffed waves and minimalist baubles for a show-stopping look that felt perfectly balanced.
8. Suboo Leopard Halterneck Silk Maxi ($403): Save this scene-stealer for seaside nuptials or a rooftop soiree overlooking the city skyline. Keep the rest of your look pared down and polished to achieve a sophisticated aesthetic and avoid going too over the top (AKA drawing side-eye from the bride).
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)