When the markets are filled with fragrant stone fruits, you know that summer is in full swing. Cherries rank high on our list of seasonal treats, and we’ve got a great lineup of delicious ways to use ’em. Just remember, when shopping for cherries, look for firm, shiny fruit and taste one if possible. Ready to spend a little time in the kitchen? Grab a summer cocktail, flip on some fun tunes and let’s get cooking.
1. Fruit Salad With Fennel, Watercress, and Smoked Salt: Refreshing and healthy, this salad is simple enough to throw together on a weeknight but pretty enough for your next dinner party. You can use this recipe year-round and substitute other seasonal fruits for the cherries and plums. (via Bon Appétit)
4. Easy Cherry Hand Pies: Cherries are delicious on their own, but how about when they’re wrapped in flaky pastry crust? These adorable individual pies would be perfect for a picnic or barbecue — no serving utensils necessary! (via PBS.org)
7. Pork Tenderloin With Chipotle-Cranberry Sauce: Pork and fruit is a classic pairing. This recipe calls for cranberries, but we think cherries would make an excellent summer substitution. (via The Wanderlust Kitchen)
10. Brandied Cherries: Wish you could enjoy sweet summer cherries all year long? These preserved cherries in brandy might be the answer you’re looking for. The boozy treats are perfect in place of maraschino cherries and the syrup is delicious too. (via Nourished Kitchen)
11. Cherry Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwich: If you’re sick of burgers, try these at your next summer fiesta. The cherries in this recipe are dried, so it’s a dish you can enjoy all year. (via Imperial Sugar)
13. Sweet Cherry Pie: If you want the real deal, look no further. You can’t go wrong with a traditional cherry pie like this one. Use a lattice for the top crust so all of those gorgeous juices are visible. (via Martha Stewart)
How do you get your cherry on? Let us know your favorite summer cherry recipe in the comments below.