8 Ways to Style a Coin Pendant Necklace Like a French Girl
French women have a reputation for their effortless fashion vibes that fall somewhere between understated and elegant. All season we’ve spotted one detail, however, that is totally wearable and beyond trendy — when worn correctly, that is. The gold pendant necklace is a simple, stunning accessory that caps off every effortless outfit. French designer Lara Melchior describes to Vogue, “The idea here, it is clear, is not to be too showy or ‘done,’ but to communicate a sort of innate elegance… [jewelry that is] subtle and easy to wear.” So if you’ve already mastered laissez-faire hair and stocked up on seasonal berets, complete your Paris-ready style by picking up this essential accessory. Catch our styling tips below, then pick-up the pendant of your wildest Parisian dreams.
1. Monochromatic Metals: Rule number one? Avoid being extra by keeping all jewelry to the same tone (i.e. pick gold or silver, don’t mix-and-match). French model Marie-Ange Casta knows the drill.
Brit + Co Pick: Baublebar Alpha Layered Necklace ($36)
2. Long Chains: A single, long pendant — no layers needed — give French model and Rouje founder, Jeanne Damas, her signature laid-back look with a pulled-together touch.
Brit + Co Pick: Child of Wild Cortez Coin Necklace ($94)
3. Vintage-Inspired Pendants: Violette, the Parisian MUA-turned-Global Director of Beauty for Estée Lauder, has brought French-girl style to a new, effortless level. Her beachy #OOTD is complete with a delicate gold coin pendant by Pascale Monvoisin.
Brit + Co Pick: Pascale Monvoisin IZIA ($1,095)
4. Double-Wrapped Chains: Layer necklaces with the sartorial know-how of French jeweler Adeline Rapon, who pulls off elevated-casual with her subtly embellished, wraparound chains. Top it off with no makeup makeup, natural hair, and a red lip.
Brit + Co Pick: Ohhmygatcollection Gold Medallion Choker ($75).
5. Layer With Chokers: Anne-Laure Mais, the editor of the French fashion blog Adenorah, knows that a femme little cami-top calls for delicate layers and an expertly styled stack. This one features a tight choker and a geometric dangler.
Brit + Co Pick: Missoma Lucy Williams Octagon Coin Necklace ($136)
6. Simple Circles: Take the less is more approach like French model Louise Follain, complete with a ring necklace that pairs perfectly with warm-weather looks.
Brit + Co Pick: Madewell Adjustable Ring Choker Necklace ($34)
7. Etched or Engraved: Mix old school with contemporary touches when you reach for an engraved or etched coin like Violette.
Brit + Co Pick: Theodora Warre Moonstone Compass Gold-Plated Necklace ($195)
8. Thick Chains: Go big or go home, we always say. Thick chains work well for cold-weather layers to set off solid sweaters and menswear-inspired blazers in the fashion of the Adenorah muse.
Brit + Co Pick: Kenneth Jay Lane Coin Pendant Necklace ($35)
Have you channeled la vie Parisienne today? Show us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.