We definitely love all the stylish, modern lighting options that you see right now: Brass, lots of Lucite, mid-century modern everything… we’re here for it. But that being said, we have a *major* soft spot for lamps and pendants that are just as colorful and textural as the rest of our decor, and you know we love that DIY life. So gather up some fringe and fabric, bust out the crafting clay, and have some fun with these colorful, tactile projects to up your lighting game.
1. Textured Lamp Shade DIY: Rick rack, velvet, and tweed are the perfect additions to an otherwise plain-Jane lampshade. (via Oh Joy)
2. DIY Wooden Bead Pendant Light: Going for a more minimalist vibe? This easy-to-follow tutorial pays off with a sweetly colorful accent perfect for any room. (via A New Bloom)
3. DIY Round Table Lamp: Upgrade your IKEA basics with strips of cork for a new and improved look that’s begging to be touched. (via Atilio)
4. Globe Pendant DIY: Red is such a great choice for this easy DIY, but the sky’s the limit. If you can’t find planter baskets in the color you’re craving, a little spray paint is all you need to get the shade of your dreams. (via A Beautiful Mess)
5. DIY Kelly Wearstler Lamp: Turn an ugly duckling thrift store lamp into something completely show-stopping. All you need is crafting clay and a whole lotta paint. (via PMQ for two)
6. DIY No-Sew Fabric Pleated Lampshade: This is the project you’ve been waiting for, the one that you’ll use for those too-small but so-cute fabric remnants you’ve been hoarding. (via House That Lars Built)
7. DIY Woven Lamp: These have been popping up on Pinterest and it’s easy to see why. Pick embroidery thread in the colors you love best and get stringing. (via Fabrica de Imaginacion)
8. Origami Lampshade: If you can make a paper crane, you can make this fab structural lampshade. The best part? It’s just paper. So. Affordable. (via Docrafts)
9. DIY Tropical Pendant Light: Leather is one of those materials that immediately creates warmth. The strips of the material in this pineapple-inspired pendant looks so sophisticated paired with the faceted glass. (via Monsters Circus)
10. Curtain Ring Pendant Light: Stained wood hoops are all you need to create this sleek look. Put it together and bask in having created a high-end look at hardware store prices. (via Passionshake)
11. DIY Wall Sconce: Not only does it add visual interest when the light’s off, the metallic sheet will throw amazing patterns on the walls when the light is on. (via Anika’s DIY Life)
12. DIY Eames Inspired Boho Pendant Lamp Cover: You had us at Eames. The beads and yarn add so much vibrancy to this budget-friendly project. (via Love Maegan)
Thinking about putting one of these together? We want to see it! Tag us on Instagram + using hashtag #iamcreative!