18 Cookbooks Every Newlywed Should Own
Whether you’re a bona fide foodie or you don’t know your mortar from your mandolin, a good cookbook can make all the difference in the kitchen. And there’s no better occasion to expand your cookbook collection than your wedding. For tips on everything from cooking for two to hosting your first dinner party together, these delicious guides are definitely worth adding to your registry. May you eat happily ever after!
1. Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook at Home ($26): What do master chefs cook in their downtime? Find out in this latest cookbook from Marcus Samuelsson and you’ll never be in danger of getting “chopped.”
2. The Forest Feast ($35): Master foodie blogger Erin Gleeson is all about less is more when it comes to cooking. Check out her beautifully photographed, veggie-filled book for all kinds of locally grown, nutritious recipes.
3. The Truck Food Cookbook ($15): For the couple who loves food trucks (and who doesn’t really!?), this cookbook serves up all the most popular and sinfully delicious on-the-go cuisine.
4. The Kinfolk Table: Recipes for Small Gatherings ($27): What once began as a small quarterly publication has now launched itself into a full-on foodie revolution. Pick up this hip cookbook if you just can’t get enough of their uniquely simple (and beautiful) recipes.
5. Two in the Kitchen: A Cookbook for Newlyweds ($35): Cooking together is a wonderful way to bond. This cookbook will help you create memories and magic in the kitchen with 150 tasty recipes for two, plus there’s super helpful advice on how to select the perfect stemware and much more.
6. The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor ($21): You already follow Gina Homolka’s popular foodie blog; now go make her recipes from this brand-new cookbook that saves on calories but doesn’t skimp on taste.
7. The Bergdorf Goodman Cookbook ($24): Got caviar taste and a fast-food budget? This cookbook, based on recipes from the legendary New York City restaurant, is all you need to satisfy those fancy cravings.
8. The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook ($21): Quick, what’s half of 3/4? If you pull out a calculator every time you try to halve a recipe, this cookbook (complete with a 25-page manual covering the basics) is for you.
9. Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans ($20): It wouldn’t be a cookbook post without something Paleo. This humorous, easy-to-follow book is filled to the brim with over 100 Paleo and GF eats. With the step-by-step cartoons and hearty recipes, all you cavepeople will be thoroughly amused and full.
10. The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook ($15): Whether you’re hosting a Mad Men binge-a-thon or you simply fancy Old Fashions a la Don Draper, this cookbook will help you get there.
11. Mug Cakes: 100 Speedy Microwave Treats to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth ($16): A decadent dessert in less time than it takes to preheat an oven? Sign us up! Bonus: Check out the liquor-infused recipes for some adults-only fun.
12. Carla’s Comfort Foods: Favorite Dishes from Around the World ($28): If you’ve got a multicultural palate but can’t afford to travel the world, Carla’s latest cookbook will take you where you want to go – no passport necessary.
13. The Plant-Based Pair: A Vegan Cookbook for Two With 125 Perfectly Portioned Recipes ($11): Just because you have special dietary needs doesn’t mean you can’t have a delicious meal. Plus, you’ll find helpful tips for grocery shopping and “living a happy vegan life.”
14. Couple’s Kitchen: A Newlyweds Cookbook ($23): The “Early Starts” and “Lazy Mornings” chapters alone are worth it for days when you’re on the go and weekends when you want breakfast in bed.
15. Sunny’s Kitchen: Easy Food for Real Life ($16): Sure, fancy schmancy meals are nice for entertaining, but what about everyday life? No worries, Sunny’s got you covered with everything from Slow ‘n’ Low Ribs to Spicy Noodle Bowls.
16. The Cook’s Meat Book ($30): If you’ve ever undercooked a steak or your burgers still have some “moo” to them, say hello to your new meat bible. After all, grilling season is right around the corner!
17. The Newlywed Cookbook: Fresh Ideas & Modern Recipes for Cooking With & for Each Other ($35): The holy grail of newlywed cookbooks, this guide will help you masterfully create every dish from weeknight dinners to your first Thanksgiving together.
18. Homemakers: A Domestic Handbook for the Digital Generation ($23): This isn’t your mother’s guide to homemaking. With everything from DIY projects that are actually doable to tasty recipes to add to your repertoire, this handy guide (created right here at Brit HQ) will turn your house into a home.
Will you be adding any of these cookbooks to your registry? Let us know in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)