Walt Disney World Just Released Chocolate-Hazelnut Bacon Tarts — and We Have the Recipe!
We’ve been counting down the days until Toy Story Land opens on June 30 this summer at Walt Disney World. What are we most looking forward to? Woody’s Lunch Box, a quick-service restaurant in Disney’s Hollywood Studios that will serve up sweet and savory sandwiches like the s’mores French toast breakfast sandwich and the BBQ brisket melt. However, in our opinion the true stars of the menu are the dessert Lunch Box Tarts, and we have the recipe so you can travel to WDW in the comfort of your kitchen.
So what are these heavenly treats? Basically, they’re fancy homemade Pop-Tarts! According to Disney, they’re “inspired by breakfast toaster pastries. This modern interpretation, with its uniquely delicate crust, is the perfect hand-held pastry.” The hardest part will be choosing which flavor you want to try first — raspberry topped with dried fruit or chocolate-hazelnut garnished with caramelized bacon. Nutella and bacon? Yes, please!
Chocolate-Hazelnut Lunch Box Tarts
(Makes 8 tarts)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 eggs, divided
- 10 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. For Chocolate Hazelnut Tart: Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of salt, butter, coconut oil, and 2 eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined.
2. Add water and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed and blend until dough is smooth. Do not overmix.
3. Divide dough into two even balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Rest in refrigerator for 45 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F.
5. Mix remaining egg and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
6. Lightly flour a large cutting board and roll first ball of dough into 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 8 2-inch by 6-inch rectangles.
7. Place rectangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with reserved egg wash. Spread 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread on the rectangle.
8. Roll remaining ball of dough into 1/4-inch-thick rectangle and cut into 8 2-inch by 6-inch rectangles. Place on top of chocolate hazelnut-covered tarts and seal edges with a fork. Brush top of tarts with egg wash.
9. Bake for 17 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely.
10. For Icing: Mix sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly add remaining milk until icing is smooth and spreads easily, but is not runny.
11. Spread icing on each cooled tart and top with bacon pieces.
What’s your favorite Disney summer treat? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Photo and recipe courtesy of Disney Parks)