How to Make Wreath Donuts for Your Holiday Parties
We already have recipes for gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies and peppermint everything. But what if Santa is a milk-and-donuts kinda guy? Well, we’ve got that covered too. We didn’t know that we could love donuts any more than we already did, but then we made these wreath donuts and their cuteness factor went off the charts. No mistletoe needed: This is love at first sight! Give your holiday parties a fun new tradition with this fun and festive donut-decorating activity. Check out the how-to below, and happy baking!
– your favorite donuts, plain
– sugar paper in red and pink
– yellow and green gel food coloring
– red hots or red circular sprinkles
– 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
— 2 tablespoons milk
— 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
– piping bag
– leaf-shaped piping tip
1. Mix together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Add more milk or powdered sugar if needed until icing is thick and forms ribbons.
2. With the gel food coloring, add a small amount of green and twice as much yellow. Continue until you reach your desired color.
3. Dip each donut upside-down into the icing. Shake the donut before turning over to get rid of any extra icing. Turn the donut to the right side and shake again gently to remove any bubbles. Set aside to dry.
4. While the donuts are drying, cut out a 1/4 inch-wide strip from your sugar papers. Peel away the clear backing.
5. Fold the sugar paper into a bow, using small amounts of water as a glue to allow the paper to stick to itself. Set these aside to harden.
6. Make another batch of green icing, but this time scoop it into a piping bag fitted with a leaf piping tip. Pipe leaves all around the wreath in a circular motion.
7. Stick the bows and some red hots on the wreath donuts as decoration and enjoy!
If your unused icing starts to harden from sitting out too long, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of milk to fix the consistency.
Don’t worry about being neat with the piping of your leaves! It’s a wreath, so it’s okay if not all of the leaves are exactly the same size and shape!
They’re almost too cute to eat! (Almost… wink!)
Don’t you wish you could hang these little guys on the front door of your house too? Maybe you could put them on your gingerbread houses!
What other holiday sweets are you planning on making for your party this year? Show us your projects by tagging us on Instagram + using hashtag #iamcreative!