Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice: 30 Unusual Gingerbread Recipes
Add a little bit of sugar and spice to your life with this roundup of 30 flavor-packed gingerbread recipes. We travel the world this time around, featuring a combination of traditional and modern gingerbread treats from Germany, Sweden, Brazil and more! This collection will surely warm you up, especially when combined with any of these chill-crushing drinks and a fireplace, even if yours is made of washi tape.
1. Gingerbread House: Be sure to bookmark this guide to making a gingerbread house like a pro! It includes all the recipes and info you need — be sure to click on the “favorite gingerbread tips and tricks” link — along with free, printable templates for two types of home styles: the one pictured above, along with a much-easier-to-manage A-frame. (via Tikkido)
3. Apple Gingerbread Pancakes with Apple Cider-Maple Syrup: Molasses and spice lend a gingerbread note to these shredded apple-filled buttermilk pancakes. (via Portuguese Girl Cooks)
4. Pain d’épices: This French gingerbread features a generous glug of honey in place of the usual molasses. Across between a cake and bread, it’s quite versatile and keeps well for days, making it an especially nice treat to have on hand. (via David Lebovitz)
7. Gingerbread Granola: Warming spices, molasses and maple syrup combine with oats, nuts, candied ginger and dried cranberries to create a tasty breakfast or snack; this granola is great to have on hand for when you’re pressed for time! (via Cookie and Kate)
9. Gingerbread Castle Bundt Cake: No time to make a gingerbread house? Make this gingerbread CASTLE instead! Simply use a specialty-shaped bundt pan such as this fairytale cottage or a true castle. (via Georgia Pellegrini)
13. Cinnamon-Sugar Gingerbread Doughnuts: Any apple cider donut fans out there? Give these gingerbread donuts a whirl for a wintery variation. (via Tracey’s Culinary Adventures)
14. Pumpkin Ice Cream with Beer Caramel Sauce and Gingerbread Croutons: Gingerbread croutons add just enough texture to this delectable, homemade sundae. (via Buttercream Blondie)
19. Lebkuchen Spice Macarons with Quince Jam and Candied Ginger: A homemade, German gingerbread spice blend — made with anise, coriander seed and cardamom along with the usual suspects — lends a bit of oomph to these macaron shells filled with a fragrant, caramelized quince jam and a surpise candied ginger center. (via What’s For Lunch Honey)
24. Parkin: This traditional ginger cake from Northern England is loaded with history. What sets it apart from other types of gingerbread is the inclusion of oats and treacle — an uncrystallized syrup similar to molasses. (via Fisher & Paykel)
26. Gingerbread Brigadeiros: Rolled in toasted pecans, these gingerbread-flavored Brazilian candies are the perfect blend of crunchy and creamy. (Recipes are also included for peppermint and eggnog flavors!) (via Give Me Flour)
27. Gingerbread Cake: Lemony frosting tops this gingerbread cake, lending it a brightly flavored finish. For even more citrus flavor, add some tangerine zest to the batter as one reviewer did! (via Bon Appetit)
28. Gingerbread Gift Tag Cookies: Use these gingerbread gift tags to add a totally personalized, edible element to your holiday gifts. They also make terrific ornaments for a Christmas tree! (via Erica’s Sweet Tooth)
30. Gingerbread Cake with Lingonberries and Vanilla Goat Cheese Frosting (Gluten-free): This cake features a truly unique, intriguing combination of flavors. The vanilla bean-flecked goat cheese frosting sounds like a terrific change of pace from the much more common cream cheese-based icings. (via Dagmar’s Kitchen)
Tell us, what’s your favorite form of gingerbread — cookie, caramel, cocktail, …? Show off your architecture skills by sharing photos of any gingerbread houses you construct in the comments!