20 DIY Ways to Throw a Winning Oscar Party
Calling all movie lovers! Sunday kicks off the 92nd annual Oscars, which is just another reason to get your pals together for a fancy movie-inspired night in. Plan some small bites, make-ahead cocktails and pop in the popcorn for a night filled with glamorous style, inspiring speeches, favorite clips with laughter and tears thrown into the mix. In fact, we've done a little party planning of our own. Feel free to copy us and party it up, Oscars style with these brilliant DIYs.
2. Oscar Gold Backdrop. This backdrop takes about 5 minutes to get up but really makes an impact in any room or photo. (via Brit + Co)
3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Channel 1940s Olympic swimmer turned movie star Esther Williams with these adorable swim caps
4. Ticket Roll Bowl: Yes, that really is just a roll of tickets. This is such an innovative way to make a fun movie-themed bowl. (via Buggie & Jellybean)
5. Gold Heart Piñata: Getting sick of commercial break after commercial break? Take a breather and take turns hitting this shiny beauty! We recommend filling it with some movie theater-esque treats for the ultimate themed party. (via Studio DIY)
6. Popcorn Bar: Though this awesome popcorn bar is more fit for an outdoor party, you could easily create your own on a decorated table indoors. While you're at it, check out some tasty popcorn hacks to add to your spread. (via Hostess With the Mostess)
7. Printable Popcorn Boxes: Printables are definitely a dream come true for any busy DIYer. These bright and colorful boxes would be a perfect addition to your popcorn bar! (via Design Eat Repeat)
8. Vintage Photo Booth Backdrop: A photo booth that's both vintage and movie-related? Yes, please! (PS: We're huge fans of the popcorn cones she's holding. Those would also be great for the popcorn bar.) (via Kelly Golightly)
9. Paper Oscar Statuettes: If you're going for a sophisticated viewing party, this elegant statuette will feel at home on your table. (via Twig & Thistle)
10. Glitter-Dipped Bottles: Glitter is always a welcome addition to any affair. Add some pizzazz to your drinks with these glitter-dipped bottles. Our super adaptable tutorial would work well for wine and Champagne glasses as well. (via Brit + Co.)
11. Gold Star Garland: Are your walls looking bare? Sparkle them up with this festive garland. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
12. Balloon Awards: The Oscar statuette is way overrated. Give awards to your guests with these festive balloons! (via Studio DIY)
13. Ticket Stub Backdrop: You can never have too many photo booth backdrop options. We couldn't resist sharing this fabulous ticket stub creation. (via Brooklyn Bride)
14. Film Reel Cupcakes: These tasty treats are perfect for those with a hankering for something sweet. (via Make Life Lovely)
15. Award Show Gift Printable: Make like the real thing and send all your guests home with a swag bag — these printable stickers are the perfect finishing touch. (via Elegance & Enchantment)
16. Oscars Bingo: Keep everyone focused on the ceremony no matter how long it drags on with these v. entertaining Bingo cards. (via Julie Blanner)
17. Awards Season Tablescape: For a swanky affair, set a stunning tablescape: Lots of gold and black silk are in order, and maybe some confetti. (via Pizzazzerie)
18. Oscars Viewing Cocktail: Keep the drink menu simple with a cocktail that you can make in batches. The gold sugar rim really drives the glam home! (via Blissfully Domestic)
19. Printable Temporary Tattoos: Add these to your gift bags, or stick 'em on your guests as they arrive! (via Squirelly Minds)
20. DIY Celeb Confetti: Little. Tiny. Celebrity. Faces. (via Sugar and Charm)
Planning your own red-carpet viewing party? Make sure to 'Gram it and tag us @BritandCo!
(Additional reporting by Ariel Garneau and Theresa Gonzalez)
This article has been updated and was previously published in February 2018.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)