Adorable DIY Games to Make Before Your Next Snow Day
Winter weather is knocking at your front door telling you to embrace the cold and give in to all things cozy and hygge. So why fight that pesky snow when you can stay indoors by the fireside with your nearest and dearest? For your next snow day, try hosting a little snowed-in board game party. Pair it with some sweet and boozy treats and you’ll have the *perfect* day. Since you’ve already mastered all the games in your game closet, we found a few more fun, creative, hip and youthful DIY board games you’ll want to make before the next blizzard hits. Roll the dice and read below!
1. DIY Donut Poker Chips: Hold ’em, fold ’em, eat ’em! How cute and clever are these donut poker chips? Surely, you’ll want to DIY a batch before you get the girls together again for some poker face action. Serve ’em up with a side of pink cosmos à la Carrie Bradshaw and, yes, donuts. (via Our Messy Table)
2. Guess Who Board Game DIY: Guess Who? Well, before we tell you who, you’ll have to play a friendly game of Guess Who with us! Get creative one weekend and make your own Guess Who character cards. Your friends will go nuts for this! (via Lovely Indeed)
3. Printable Fruit Slice Memory DIY: This game will not only improve your memory skills, but will also get your creativity wheels a-turning when you DIY a colorful game of Memory. We’re totally loving the citrusy and colorful vibes of the cards that do the perfect job of brightening up those bleak winter skies. (via Design Eat Repeat)
5. DIY Checkers: Forget those red and black checker pieces — it’s time for a vibrant update. Paint your checker board a neutral hue and go for fun shapes such as stars for the playing pieces. Bold, youthful pieces (think: pink and blue, or maybe bright pink and lime green) will add a little extra sunshine to any snowy day. (via Your DIY Family)
6. Fave Besties and Couples Memory Game DIY: No snow day is complete without a few of your favorite celebs. Make the same couples in the project above, or be inspired to add your own faves from Gilmore Girls, Pretty Little Liars and Harry Potter. (via Studio DIY)
8. DIY Los Angeles Chutes and Ladders: You loved Chutes and Ladders when you were a kid, but now it’s time to reimagine the game in a whole new setting. Whether you decide to DIY the board game’s setting in your hometown or favorite city, it’s guaranteed to bring up fond memories from your most beloved childhood board game. (via Lovely Indeed)
9. DIY Yahtzee: Yahtzee was always a fun way to pass the afternoon. While you’re waiting for springtime, this colorful DIY is your answer. Follow all the instructions and then grab a friend — it’s Yahtzee time! (via Lovely Indeed)
10. DIY Giant Jenga: Jenga is one of those games where you can’t master it by reading the rule book, but rather by playing it over and over again. What, you’re already a Jenga pro? Try your skills with giant Jenga blocks that look appropriately frozen for a wintry day. (via Our Messy Table)
11. Instagram Memory DIY: A love for board games and social feeds may sound like a strange combo, but not to a true DIYer. Take your favorite Instagram images to create a Memory game where you are in control. (via Lovely Indeed)
12. DIY Mancala Game: Creating your own mancala game will not only serve as a way to pass the evening, but the game pieces are so pretty it doubles as an art piece. When you’re not playing, you can leave the game out on your coffee table for springy decor while the snow blows outside. (via Lovely Indeed)
Show us how you create your custom board games by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!