It’s easy to get caught up in the bustle of the holidays, so we’re here to remind you that in the midst of hunting down the perfect head-scratching white elephant gift or baking batch after batch of chai-spiced cookies, you definitely need to pen in some “me” time. And we can’t think of a more relaxing way to spend it than soaking in a warm, scented bath.
Don’t think you need to head to an exclusive spa for top notch aromatherapy treatment—it’s way easy to DIY your way into the chill zone with a batch of fragrant bath salts. All it takes is a handful of Epsom salts and a few drops of your favorite essential oil to nail it. So sit back, breathe deep, and relax with these 15 soothing bath salts you can DIY. And remember—if you’re pregnant or have health concerns, be sure to talk to your doctor before using essential oils in any amount.
1. Homemade Lavender Bath Salts: Lavender oil adds a soothing, sweet aroma to this batch of bath salts. Add a few drops of purple food coloring to the mix—it creates a beautiful ombre effect when it settles at the bottom of the jar. Just remember to stir before you use! (via A Splash of Vanilla)
2. Eucalyptus and Vanilla Bath Salts: We love the relaxing mix of warm vanilla and zippy eucalyptus ‘round this time of year. But these bath salts do more for you than satisfy your sense of smell—eucalyptus essential oil acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent and deodorant, while vanilla jojoba oil will help moisturize your skin as you soak. (via SheKnows)
4. Rosemary Bath Salts: Add an energizing element to your bath salts with rosemary essential oil, which is especially known for reinvigorating mental alertness. Add a drop or two of green food coloring for festive flair. (via So…Let’s Hang Out)
5. Rainbow Bath Salts: Did the rainbow colors suck you in? Yeah, us too. And luckily, it’s way easy to turn clear Epsom salt into colorful crystals—just add a scoop of salt and a few drops of food coloring to a plastic bag like shake it a Polaroid picture. Try infusing each color with a different essential oil to create a lush, layered scent. (via The Cheese Thief)
6. Rose Milk Bath: We can’t wait to try this luxe combo of Epsom salts and powdered milk, which helps to gently remove dead skin cells. Rose essential oil adds an even more calming note to this relaxing concoction. (via Henry Happened)
7. Honey Almond Oil Bath Salts: If you’re looking for a soft skin boost, then moisturizing honey and almond oil should be your go-to bath salt add-ins. Plus, how adorable is the stamped take out packaging? (via Shrimp Salad Circus)
8. Vanilla Bath Salts: Don’t have any essential oils on hand? No problem—just turn to your baking cupboard! A drop of vanilla extract and a whole vanilla bean will do the trick to transform Epsom salts into a calming and comforting agent. (via Henry Happened)
9. Mint Mojito Bath Salts: It doesn’t have to be summertime to enjoy a refreshing dip in the bath! And we can’t think of a more relaxing way to do it than sliding into a tub that smells like a mint mojito…possibly while sipping on a bevvy of the same name ;) (via Henry Happened)
10. Orange Dream Bath Salts: Here’s another two-toned bath salt that will surely wow as a gift or favor. Once again, reach into your cooking cabinets for the ingredients, which include orange and vanilla extract, as well as food coloring. (via Miss Wish)
11. Epsom Salt Detox Bath: A detox bath flushes out toxins to boost your health, which means it should be at the top of your winter beauty routine, if not all year round. This immune-boosting concoction, chalk full of calming chamomile and ground ginger, proves that you totally can experience a spa-like treatment in your very own home. (via Gimme Some Style)
12. Lavender Bath Salt: It’s official: lavender is by far the most popular of scents when it comes to DIY bath salts. But it should be no surprise: its distinctive floral scent can help to reduce stress and muscle pain. We love that this recipe actually uses dried lavender buds to add an even more magical touch to your tub. (via Maedchenmitherz)
13. Grapefruit Bath Salts: Need a bit of a pick me up? Try making grapefruit-scented bath salts—the bitter citrus is known for amping up the body’s feelings of energy and happiness. Plus, if that bright pink color won’t make you smile, we don’t know what will! (via Say Yes to Hoboken)
14. Lemon Rosemary Bath Salts: Lemon is one of those natural cure-alls that we can guarantee you’re not taking advantage of enough. Besides promoting blemish-free skin, its scent is cleansing, uplifting, and a perfect balance to more medicinal scents like eucalyptus or rosemary. So what are you waiting for? These bath salts are an easy way in. (via Tidy Mom)
15.Back Pain Bath Salts: After an active day on your feet, rest easy in a tub steaming with pain-relieving essential oils like peppermint and cinnamon. Use this concoction after a yoga practice for maximum relief. (via Om Nom Ally)
Have you ever made your own bath salts before? What aromas are your favorite to use? Tell us in the comments below!