The DIY battle against dry skin is in full swing here at Brit HQ. Our first line of defense was exfoliating with homemade face and lip scrubs to cast out old cells, and now our next move, naturally, is to lather up! These 13 luxe DIY lotions, lotion bars, and body butters will get you on the fast track to silky smooth skin even in the frostiest of climates.
1. Simple Lotion Bars: While this lotion bar may be pretty frills-free, it’s still a total treat for your skin. This mix of super moisturizing oils—coconut, almond, and jojoba—along with beeswax to seal in the moisture and cocoa butter for velvety texture should be your go-to bar base recipe. (via Transient Expression)
2. Whipped Coconut Cooling Lotion: The natural cooling effect of aloe vera gel makes it a great body butter add-in for dehydrated skin. This is one recipe that’s perfect to bring back for the summer to help soothe sunburned skin. (via Henry Happened)
3. Coconut + Plum Whipped Body Butter: Wow—those colors—it’s reason enough to try out this body butter recipe! But this beauty product is way more than dreamy eye-candy: it contains antioxidant-rich plum kernel oil, a sweet, almond-scented oil that leaves the skin feeling extra soft and supple. (via Lola Zabeth)
4. Shea Body Butter: Packed with vitamins that encourage skin repair, shea butter is the most luxurious natural moisturizer around. While the butter has a naturally nutty scent on its own, you can play with the aroma by adding whatever essential oils suit your fancy. (via Love and Cupcakes)
5. Whipped Peppermint Bark Body Butter: Peppermint Bark Body Butter? Yes please! We’re adding this holiday-inspired concoction to our ultimate DIY beauty gift guide ASAP! This blogger also deserves a shout out for this hot hologram packaging. (via Fit and Fab Living)
6. Green Tea and Oat Body Butter Bars: Would you ever guess that two breakfast staples—oats and green tea—act as anti-aging agents in these body butter bars? It’s true! They’re both champions of smooth, supple, and shiny skin. (via Life Ann Style)
7. Bronzing Whipped Body Butter: Here’s a beauty hack we’re head over heels for: adding cocoa powder, cinnamon, and olive oil to a body butter to get that coveted sun-kissed glow. Genius! (via The Sprouting Seed)
8. Cranberry Body Butter: We love the fact that this pink-tinted cranberry body butter is stored in a travel tin, perfect for toting home for the holidays. And speaking of holidays, how festive is this mix of free-radical fighting cranberry and orange essential oil? (via SheKnows)
9. Beach Butter Balm: Here’s another body butter that works just as well in the winter as it does in the summa-summa-summatime. Add this mix of soothing butters and oils to your skin at night for a deep conditioning while you dream. (via Offbeat + Inspired)
10. Lavender Lotion Bars: Lavender’s calming properties make it a top choice for lots of beauty products, including DIY bath salts and of course, homemade lotion bars. Make it a part of your before-bed ritual to help de-stress at the end of the day. (via Your Madne in the Kitchen)
11. Coconut Vanilla Body Butter: Is it just us, or are nutty coconut oil and warm vanilla extract made for each other? It only takes one application of this calming body butter to find out. (via My Life at Playtime)
12. Lemon Cream Body Butter: Say sayonara to scaly skin with this lemon-powered body butter. The uplifting citrus scent acts as a natural pick-me-up, so we suggest lathering up with this lotion before you start your busy day. (via GI 365)
13. Pretty in Pink Body Butter: This is a super simple body butter recipe with a very meaningful backstory: this blogger made it in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Follow suit and give this pink potion to a strong lady in your life—be sure to add a sprinkle of glitter on top for extra flair! (via SavyNaturalista)
What homemade beauty products have you been using lately? Tell us about it in the comments below!