10 Party Dresses + Holiday Hairstyles to Go With ‘Em
Cocktail dresses and hairstyles are like wine and cheese. Sure, they’re good apart, but together they can be utterly amazing. It’s now officially December, which means the holiday season is in full swing. So when you aren’t running around town grabbing gifts for your loved ones, chances are you’re probably at some sort of holiday soiree. We’ve already shared a bunch of stunning (and work appropriate) holiday dresses with you, but we’ve left one thing out: what hairstyles to pair them with! Whether you’re planning on rocking a dramatic maxi or a cozy sweater dress to this year’s festivities, here are 10 hair and dress combos to use as your go-to guide.
1. Sleeveless Dress + Gibson Roll: Keep that neckline clean and sweep your tresses back into a deceptively intricate Gibson Girl roll. Pairing a strapless dress ($100) with pulled-back hair allows a statement necklace to pop or a sultry shade of lipstick to take the stage. (image via A Cup of Jo)
2. Long Sleeved Dress + Loose Waves: Put your sleekest foot forward in a winter ready, long-sleeved dress ($57). For this style, you’ve got a lot of options, but we recommend keeping those locks down and loose with relaxed waves. Check out how to make the waves pictured above using only a blowdryer and round brush, or sneak a peak at how LC gets those legendary mermaid waves — or used to, at least (via Brit + Co)
3. High Collared Dress + Ballerina Bun: Show off that dramatic neckline and sweep your hair up into a mess free ballerina bun. A high collared dress like this embellished one ($85) is a great way to stay conservative but still throw in a high fashion vibe. If this look is feeling a little too stiff, spice it up a bit by updating to the currently trending half top knot. (via The Shoe Room)
4. Deep V + High Pony Fishtail: Va va voom! If your holiday party apparel doesn’t have to be SFW, go for the plunging neckline. If you’re really feeling it, take one step further and also go fully sequined in something like this emerald green stunner ($80). With a dress this dramatic, it’s important to keep the garment the center of attention. Sweep your hair back into what looks like a slightly teased and tousled high pony in front, but is actually a fishtail. If you’re not so into the braided pony, try this elegant, curly cascading side pony tutorial. (image via Free People)
5. One Shoulder Maxi and Knotted Side Bun: If you’re headed to a more formal affair, go for the full-length dress to make your look instantly fancier. A one-shouldered piece ($114) is always a fun option if you’re bored of the same basic necklines. Keep that unique element on show and add some balance to your outfit by gathering your hair on the shoulder-less side and twisting it into a unique side bun. (via Once Wed)
6. Vintage Dress + Victory Rolls: Whether you already own a vintage dress like this ’50s gem ($128) or just want to add a retro touch to your outfit, Betty Page — approved victory rolls are the perfect way to go about it. Pair this ‘do and dress together and you just might be mistaken for a character straight out of Mad Men. (via a Brit and a Blonde)
7. Open Back Dress + French Twist: With a bold, open back like this red show stopper ($30) it’d be a shame to cover it up with hair. Dress up a backless dress by taking a little bit of inspiration from the French with this classic twist.
8. Sweater Dress and Braided Crown: If your party is more of a low-key affair, embrace the season with a slouchy sweater dress ($62). To avoid keeping this piece from looking too casual, dress it up with a pair of heels and an intricate braided crown. We’ll be honest, this hairstyle takes a bit of practice, but once you get it down we’re guessing you’ll be rocking it long after the holidays come and go. (via Hair Romance)
9. Shift Dress and Tousled Blow Out: Keep with the minimal vibe of this Kate Spade shift dress ($238) and apply very little styling to your hair. A messy blowout followed by some volumizing hair spray will do. If you’re feeling like this look needs a little something extra, pop on a standout shade of lipstick. (via Carrie Walker)
10. Wrap Dress and Side Pony: This classic wrap dress ($35) is a perfect office party pick that’s not mind numbingly boring. Keep things clean and sweep your hair back into a messy side pony that will look great and be totally out of the way. (via A Cup of Jo)
What dress/hair combo are you going with this season? Share your holiday looks with us on Twitter!