If you’re like us, you probably pull your hair into a ponytail when you need it out of your way, or you’re headed to the gym. But don’t be fooled, this seemingly basic hairstyle can easily undergo a chic upgrade with just a few extra steps. We came up with three styles: one that’s ready to rock, one that will actually make your hair longer, and one that is chic enough for date night. While these styles might look complicated, they are anything but difficult. Don’t believe us? Give them a try!
This tiered ponytail is an homage to the 90s style, but with a little added oomph. By teasing the hair at the crown of your head and each level of your pony, you’ll get a chic look with a touch of rock ’n’ roll. Before you get started, make sure you have a fine tooth comb, hair clips, and plenty of hair elastics.
1. Separate a small section at the top of your hair.
2. Back comb that section, and smooth into a bouffant.
3. Secure that section with a ponytail holder.
4. Clip the top pony out of the way.
5. Gather your next section of hair and pull into a ponytail, pulling in the top pony just like you were French braiding, but minus the braid.
6. Separate and loosen the hair from the original pony to make a poof.
7. Repeat these steps until you’ve reached the end of your hair, and you end up with one final ponytail.
8. Use your comb to back comb the last bit of the pony tail.
9. Section off with a hair elastic, and you’re done!
Want to fake longer looking hair? This one is also known as the “faux-nytail” — get it?? Here’s the trick: it’s actually three separate ponies! Start with one up high, and follow with two more below. Your hair will cascade down, giving you some extra length. We gave this style a twist—literally!—by positioning each pony farther to one side. Taking the time to curl your hair will add volume and mask the three ponytails. Make sure you have a fine tooth comb, three hair elastics, a curling iron, and hairspray before you start.
1. Back comb the top section of your hair to give it volume.
2. Smooth out the top of the bouffant, and pull into a ponytail at the top center of your head.
3. Clip the first pony out of the way, and grab the next section of your hair. Pull it slightly to the right or left of the original ponytail, and secure it with an elastic.
4. Pull the remaining hair into a third ponytail that is even farther off-center than the other two.
5. Pull all the hair down to make one long ponytail—or at least to give the illusion of one.
6. Add a few curls to give your hair more volume and to disguise the three ponytails.
7. Spray lightly with your favorite hairspray.
8. Back comb the curls to make sure they don’t fall flat.
9. Pull to the side over your shoulder!
Last, but not least, we have our chicest pony of the bunch. This slicked back version is great for any occasion, and the wide wrap looks, well, slick. You’ll need a ponytail holder, bobby pins, brilliantine, and hair pomade, plus a coarse bristle brush for this style.
1. Start with clean dry hair.
2. Use Bumble and bumble Brilliantine to control any flyaways.
3. Smooth brilliantine onto the hair on the crown of your head. This will give a sleek, slicked-back look.
4. Use a coarse bristle brush to smooth the hair completely.
5. Secure into one large ponytail.
6. Pull out a small 1/2-inch section of hair from the pony.
7. Use TIGI Bed Head Hair Stick to smooth all flyaways on that section.
8.Wrap around the pony making sure the hair is completely smooth. Secure with a bobby pin on the underside of the pony.
9. Continue to smooth and wrap until you are satisfied with the length of the wrap.
Do you have a favorite way to style a ponytail? Tell us which of these three styles is your favorite or tell us what kind of style we should tackle next in the comments!