With Indian summer days hopefully behind us, it’s about dang time we embraced #sweaterweather with open arms. When it comes down to fashion rules, well, we’re not much of a follower. Who’s to say socks with heels can’t be done with poise or that white can’t be worn beyond Labor Day weekend? Our thoughts exactly. Keep scrolling for 18 fall styling tips, according to all the top style influencers, that will make you rethink how you get dressed in the morning.
1. Not Your Grammie’s Pearls: Pearl-embellished clothing and accessories are currently taking the city pavement by storm. Peep how blogger babe Sai De Silva offsets her pearl-strewn jeans (they’re Zara, FYI) with a Gucci belt and a non-stuffy boardroom blazer.
2. Introducing the New Canadian Tuxedo: It takes some style know-how, but when done right, denim-on-denim can be mastered with ease. Werk it on the streets with a cropped denim jacket, rolled-up boyfriend jeans, and a knit snow cap (fresh off Marc Jacob’s fall ’17 runway, natch) on deck for FROW-worthy slayage.
3. The MVP Transitional Summer Slip: You know that summer slip you already relegated to the back of your closet? It’s back for round two. This go-around, couple it with a thin layering turtleneck and suede slouch boots for ALL the saucy date night vibes.
4. Fool’s Gold: Life’s either a daring adventure or nothing at all. It girl Irene Kim doesn’t shy away with her disco glam mini, off-the-clock MJ sequined sweatshirt, or blue-hair-don’t-care ‘tude.
5. Pantsuit Nation: Show ’em who’s boss just like HBIC Jacey Duprie with a power red pantsuit that commands attention on the streets. We’re even partial to how she’s cuffed her trousers.
6. Fur Accents for Days: What? You don’t rock furry slippers and a fiery orange clutch during your morning commute? This babe does.
7. Sock Game Strong: Don’t hate on the sock game (previously a fashion no-no) until you’ve tried it. That’s all we’re saying.
8. Perfect Red Sweater: Try, try, and try your luck again until you’ve got the quintessential red jumper onboard (cozy, elegant, and just the right amount of slouch). Top-knot enthusiast and all-around blogger gal, Alice Catherine, makes it look too easy.
9. The Chanel Glitter Boots: Enter the hot ticket item of the season that took Paris Fashion Week by storm. Leandra Medine styles her now ubiquitous Chanel glitter ankle boots like a pro with a brocade A-line mini and an embroidered tee.
10. Crushed Velvet: “She has exceptional taste,” says everyone who catches wind of your velvet underground blazer with epic going-out potential.
11. Fanny Pack Takeover: Tamu McPherson’s killing it in the outfit game with her striped jumpsuit and Gucci belt bag. While man-repelling fannies aren’t completely new to the sartorial scene, we’ll tell you this: You won’t want to be armed without one this fall.
12. Army Jackets (and Shackets) With GI Jane Appeal: Go ahead and snag yo’self a dusty green army jacket, or in Chelsea Lankford’s case, a shacket, for unlimited tomboy styling. Her newsboy cap is the clincher.
13. Cool Girl Uniform 2.0: That new new is coming — and it’s coming fresh. Take a note from Candice Lake: Nothing says fall traditions like an embroidery tee and a glen plaid blazer draped across your shoulders for a hint of je ne sais quoi.
14. Embracing the French Girl Lewk With a Beret: Oui, oui! Just in case you have a ridiculous urge to channel your inner French girl like Julia Engel (read: You will), you’ll have your fair share of berets to pick from — seeing as how they’re the accessory du jour of the season.
15. Frills Aplenty: Traffic-stopping frills courtesy of Blair Eadie, right this way. (And yes, those are indeed M.Gemi’s best-selling leopard Corsa boots.) Only Bee could make black overalls, pinstripes, and an itty-bitty bag look this savvy and sophisticated.
16. Lace-Up Trousers + Block Heels: Details, people, details! This season, embroidered denim takes a backseat to frayed-hem lace-up jeans. Throw in a pair of trend-right suede block heels FTW.
17. Go Bold: You have Jenny Walton to thank for this gem of a dress reimagined in a lavish vintage suede. Don’t even get us started about the mesmerizing Yves Klein blue hue or her matching arc drop chandelier earrings.
18. “Yes” to Suede and Power Red: If there’s one all-star combo that’s a home run for fall, it’s suede and power red. Courtney Quinn teams the confidence-boosting hue with a chocolate brown suede moto for a brisk walk around the ‘hood.
Which of these fashion commandments do you swear by? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.