Anthro to Zara: 26 Fall Wardrobe Essentials for Under $100
More than the last few seasons, overhauling your wardrobe for fall calls for following an entirely different set of sartorial rules. This time around, skinny jeans are no longer your go-to — they’re (for better or worse) officially dead (though denim on denim isn’t), your breeziest 70s-inspired pieces don’t get packed till next Coachella 2017, boho flare has infiltrated nearly every fall closet staple and forget the cuddle of lots of layers: minimalist silhouettes are making it feel like it’s gonna be a less-is-more kind of fall. In other words, get ready for a brand-new crop of style essentials. In our latest From Anthro to Zara, a style series that points you to the best new items of the season, we’ve covered all of the basics you need to give your look a fall 2015 makeover. Scroll through to shop our must-have picks!
1. Anthropologie Mave Bennett Top ($98): You don’t have to trade in your entire summer color palette just yet. Fall-ify with dark wash denim and khaki olive green ankle boots.
2. A Common Space Sleeveless Silver Stripes Midi Dress ($60): This midi dress is the definition of toss on and go. With its sporty silver stripes and bold geometric print front and center, there’s no need to accessorize.
3. American Apparel The Luxe Robe ($48): This season, skip the blazer for a minimalistic kimono. Its cropped sleeves provide a similar office-worthy structure as the tailored basic, plus its silky finish polishes off even a t-shirt and jeans.
4. Aritzia Rushmore Shirt ($65): Fall is just not as comfy without a plaid flannel to snuggle up in. One with contrast plaid details, like the front pockets on this red, white and blue checked number, your knock-around shirt will still feel pretty darn chic.
5. ASOS Denim Aline Pinafore Dress ($54): Make the must-have garment of the fall — a denim dress — more versatile than you’d ever imagine by choosing an airy pinafore number. Wear it every day with a plain white tee or give it a dressy twist with a paisley patterned blouse.
6. Boohoo Boutique Jenny Suedette Trucker Jacket ($44): Retire your black leather biker jackets, ladies. This season, it’s all about its more casual cousin, the fawn suede trucker jacket, that gives off an effortless cool vibe without the girl-gang edge.
7. Charles & Keith Pointed Loafer Heels ($59): Sleek heeled loafers put a fierce feminine twist on the traditional office flats, perfect to elongate your legs in those brand new culottes.
8. Everlane The Slim Fit Short-Sleeve Linen Shirt ($50): You’ll be deserting your t-shirt collection for a slouchy, short-sleeved button-up to top off your go-to denim — leave the top few open and roll up the sleeves for a next-level laid-back look.
9. Forever 21 Varsity-Striped Bomber Jacket ($23): Step up your athelisure game with a varsity striped bomber jacket that can add an easy edge to any outfit.
10. Free People Prima Ballerina Top ($58): This might be the coolest way to wear a turtleneck this fall. Pair with paperbag-waist trousers for work then with a leather mini skirt for dinner + drinks.
11. GAP Stripe Gwen Top ($30): An easygoing striped tee works like magic to elevate everything from your favorite weekend sweats to your two-piece suit.
12. H&M Patterned Dress ($50): For a more modern take on the ‘70s-inspired everything trend, choose pieces that have a mondo pattern like this breezy shift dress. The bold print feels more crisp and graphic without looking any less luxe.
13. J.Crew Indigo Gauze Popover Shirt ($78): You can’t go wrong with a chambray shirt, especially one that comes in a dreamy indgio dye. Pull it on over flares for a go-to weekend look or rock it with a pencil skirt to the office with heeled clogs.
14. Koshka Just Female Stroke Jeans ($89): If you can’t quit skinny jeans, then this is the pair for you this fall. Added patchwork details won’t just punch up their personality (a must to compete with the roomier styles out right now), but they add just enough retro flare to put them on trend.
15. Lisa Says GAH Just Female Ziggy Long Shorts ($88): Take the instant polish of culottes and combine it with the easy feel of track shorts and you just got the chicest pair of transitional-weather bottoms ever. Keep it cool with an oversized tee and sunnies or take ‘em for a spin on a night out with a long-sleeved crop top.
16. LOFT Relaxed Straight Cropped Jeans in Americana Blue Wash ($70): Besides being extremely comfy, straight-legged cropped denim is actually pretty easy to dress up. Trade in your tennies for a pair of block heels, tuck in your favorite tee and you just found your new fave brunch outfit.
17. Madewell & Deerdana Paris Tee ($60): Add playful flair to any outfit with this sophisticated (and so scrumptious!) graphic tee. Toss on with a front-zip midi skirt and flats for day and slip into flares and platforms for a fun night out with the girls.
18. Mango Cotton-Blend Cardigan ($80): “Grandpa cardigan” and “chic” don’t often go together, but thanks to the crisp geometric pattern on this chunky knit, this layer fits the bill.
19. Need Supply Stelen Cornwall Jumpsuit ($78): Ditch the denim with this pair of lightweaight overalls that look insanely dressy thanks to thin straps and a soft, heather gray hue.
20. Old Navy Women’s Mid-Rise Pleated Soft Pants ($33): Your new go-to office pants just got a whole lot cozier without losing a single style point. Your new nine-to-five staple will look just as posh with oxfords and a chunky knit as it will with pumps and a flowy blouse.
21. & Other Stories Cactus Print Sweatshirt ($90): Some prints are proving to survive the change of season, including the too-cute cactus print. The black and white version on this too-soft sweater will punch up any casual look — add a collared shirt underneath for even frillier flair.
22. Reformation Diletta Dress ($98): The tank dress is getting an even more ’90s makeover this season thanks to ribbed fabric. Take it to a really grungy place with a pair of low-top Doc Martens and a flannel or keep it evening-chic with a fringe clutch and strappy pumps.
23. Target Yolanda Booties ($28): Chunky boots were so last season. Streamline your angstiest accessories with a pair of sleek, heeled lace-up boots — the faux suede finish makes this pair even swankier.
24. Topshop Plunge V-Neck Tie Cami ($35): Thin scarves are proving to be the easiest way to add eclectic flare to any outfit. Here, the It item comes with a matching flowy tank so you don’t even have to think about mixing and matching.
25. Urban Outfitters Frances Heel ($79): Whether you’re dressed in the laziest jeans or the most elegant LBD, a pair of retro-inspired heels will add instant glam. Get ready to don with your favorite pair of pattened socks when the weather starts to dip.
26. Zara Suede Skirt ($70): To shake up your average date-night look, think suede. There’s no way around the throwback look with this A-line mini. Pair it with a turtleneck and a matching cropped jacket to cast majorly vintage #Girlboss vibes or wear with a cami and faux fur coat for a bodaciously flirty feel.
Where are your favorite places to shop for fall? Tell us about your best finds so far in the comments below.